Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by the end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Texturing Question and Silo

Texturing Question and Silo

Postby Bongobat » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:25 am

I recently downloaded the beta version of Nevercenter's Silo: http://www.nevercenter.com/about/ This sofware has topology tools that allow you to reconstruct a surface over a high resolution object by drawing splines onto it. So you can make a low resolution polygon object from a high resolution David scan. It does exactly what I was looking for and was hoping could be implemented in the next version of David. The only drawback Im having is that I want to be able to apply the texture coordinates from the original scan to the new low poly object. Does anybody know a quick way to do this in Silo or with another software program? I found a thread about Nvidia's melody that looked promising but they were talking about normal maps. I downloaded melody but could not get it to do what I wanted. Does anyone know a way to do this and could step me through it. Any help would be appreciated.
Bongobat

Postby Ordibble Plop » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:40 am

I don't think Silo is able to transfer textures between arbitrary meshes.

How does DAVID store texture info anyway - UVs? Vertex colouring?

The GATOR function in XSI could probably do this (I've never used this function), but it is only in the Essential and Advanced versions, which run into the thousands of dollars (http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/features.aspx)

When I get time, I'll check out if the new ZBrush version can do this (it also has retopologising tools). I know it can make normal and displacement maps using arbitrary meshes, but I'm not sure about colour maps.
Ordibble Plop

Postby Simon » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:18 am

Up to now DAVID stores texture information as image + UV-coordinates. Vertex colouring might be a simple alternative for the future, but it limits the possible texture resolution to the number of vertices.
Simon
DAVID Developer

Return to Software