[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - David compared with other 3d scanner techniques
Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

David compared with other 3d scanner techniques

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

David compared with other 3d scanner techniques

Postby sheva » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:39 pm

I have compared David-Laserscanner with Triangles 3D Scanner and FlexScan 3D...I have highlighted in green the good characteristics of each technique, and in red the bad ones.

My David : :D
Instrumentation’s cost: 30 € (aluminium boards and adhesive printout of the calibration pattern) + 178,50 € (green laser) + 139,95 € (webcam Logitech SphereAF) = 348 €
Accuracy: generally, the errors are not more than 1% of the camera distance.

Triangles 3D scanner :twisted:
Instrumentation’s cost :
295 $ ( 205 € ) + 139,95 € (webcam sphereAF) =344,95 €
Note: tripod not included.

Accuracy= 1/200 * object’s height

For you: i have read David accuracy by manual, but I'm sure it's improved...I haven't obteined good scans yet, because I move the laser manually ( I'm repairing my robot!). :wink:
Attachments
Table to compare.JPG
Triangles prices.JPG
sheva

Thanks

Postby hal » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:25 pm

Ciao,

Thank you for your precious work of comparison. I appreciate this.

Buon lavoro, Ciao,

Mattia
hal

Ripples?

Postby picnet » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Hi,
When scanning ive noticed some rippling effect, is this due to camera noise or a poorly held target ? - I have used about 4 different webcams from vga to 2 mp and the best seems to be an IR sensitive camera at least for the red laser line, did you (or anyone else) notice a significant improvement when switching to a green laser line?

Even the Logitech quickcam 9000 seems a bit noisey at times even with the video noise reduction on, maybe I'll remove the IR hot mirror on that one providing I can get to it and see how it performs... its 2MP cmos sensor is already pretty decent...

-Mike.
picnet

Postby MagWeb » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi

@picnet:

It needed a gift (thanks again) to get a green focusable linelaser from picotronic as offered in the DAVID shop. It definetly is a improvement, I think adequate to the price. Whith the green laser even scanning in normal, slightly shadowed ambient light is no problem And its linethickness is much narrower. (See WalterMo´s comparison)

I found ripples and these somehow textil patterns in the scanned surface can be avoided by very precise fixing of the (best distorted, and camfilling) patterns on a very precise corner and a little patience while setting the cam.

Regarding pro 9000: I prefer to switch the right light settings off.

@ sheva:

I found only the viewer not the scanner as free download, not the scanner :roll: Did I miss something?
Thanks for the comparison.

Would be to add:

A turntable system never can get undercuts as DAVID, for the beam never can change its impact on the object. It is allways hitting the pivot from a fixed position.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby sheva » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:36 pm

Thank you MagWeb, you're right! Triangles offers only the Viewer...so, at this point, David becomes the CHAMPION 3D SCANNER, without rivals!!!! :lol:
I will modify my table, but first i would ask to you: "do you know other 3D laser scanner with low cost"?
Also, I will add in my table another characteristic to compare: "the possibility to scan undercuts" (an idea by MagWeb)

Bye bye...a particular greeting to Hal ! Ciao! Ciao! :D
sheva

Postby KopkoH » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:44 am

Sorry but software to scan in Flexscan 3d called flexscan3d not Leios Mesh. Leios Mesh is program for converting points cloud to surfaced model! And cost flexscan3d (only program) is $1499 (FlexScan3D Core).
Cost flexscan3d with leios mesh is from $1999 to $2999. For using this software you need the digital projector which cost more then 200$
All information looked from http://www.3d3solutions.com

Sorry for my English :-(
KopkoH

Postby sheva » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:17 am

Excuse me KopkoH !
I have only read their web sites....anyway, thank you for your corrections...probably, there are other errors in my table :oops: ....
but I will correct it ...soon!...do you know other low cost techniques?
I have done some scans with KONICA MINOLTA VIVID 910 (I will post them next time!) ....it's a bomb!
...fast and precise...but it isn't a low cost 3d scanner :roll:
I have the fortune to have it in the laboratory where I study... and I could use it two times!...not often, it isn't my project!
Thank you for all! ...Bye!
Andrea
sheva

Postby KopkoH » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:42 am

ducky3d (25$ This programm is't distributed now), imodeller (180-700 Euros), 3DSOM (1500$), D-Sculptor 2 (£500.00 - £900.00) - programms for creating models from silluets (contours). Cost big, quality - poor.

Photomodeler Scanner (2700$) - programm for creating models from stereo photos and photogrammetry. Cost big. Quality-good.

ScanZ (free) (http://www.brucerayne.com) - maybe as Triangles 3D Scanner

Sorry for my English :-(
KopkoH

Postby sheva » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:14 am

Good morning,
thanks to your hints, my table of comparison seems to be more correct!
As I promised you, I have added another characteristic: "possibility to scan undercuts" that is one of the most important feature of a 3D laser scanner technique. David let us to scan undercuts but you have to build an appropriate scan structure.
An example of inappropriate scan structure is mine because it leaned on a table, so I can't hit undercuts.

Flexscan3D:
Instrumentation ‘s cost:
Green laser (178,50 € ) +
Digital camera-Nikon D200 ( 1400$ = 1012 €) +
Light projector- Acer X1160 DLP Projector (480 $ = 347 € ) =

TOTAL COST 1538 €

Anyway...I have a question for you: Actually, what's David accuracy ?
Thank you, saluti from Italy!
Attachments
low cost 3D laser scanner.JPG
sheva

Postby sheva » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:26 am

This is my "inappropriate scan setup" :?
With it , I can't hit undercuts...my only possibility is to overturn my polystirene dog :lol: ( head down and feet up)...but this isn't a possible solution for all objects.
I have to change my scan setup...in the forum, I have seen very good scan setup...they will be my inspiration!!
Attachments
Struttura con cane.JPG
sheva

Postby velleca55 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:04 pm

With the Triangles Scanner I didn't find a way to work with ...

Perhaps is my fault, but the software don't run the files acquisition ... and I have a good computer and work with Rhino, ArtCAM, VisualMILL, Corel, Photoshop, Geomagic and many others without problems ...

Try many times and no way to run the program ... I have a licensed version ...

Otherwise with DAVID I made immediately good works ... I have a licensed version too ...

Happy to try and buy it ... :D ... Good work guys ... thank you Simon and Sven ... :wink: ...

In this topic in CNCITALIA forum I did say something about Triangles ... hardware and software ...

http://www.cncitalia.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5314

Other good solution, to put in the comparison, in my personal view is NEXT ENGINE scanner ...
velleca55

Postby sheva » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:04 am

Thank you Velleca...NextEngine scanner seems a good technique...the video "watch the scanner in action" is very simple!
My David :
Instrumentation’s cost: 30 € (aluminium boards and adhesive printout of the calibration pattern) + 178,50 € (green laser) + 139,95 € (webcam Logitech SphereAF) = 348 €
Accuracy: generally, the error is not more than 1% of the camera distance.
Triangles 3D scanner
Instrumentation’s cost :
295 $ ( 205 € ) + 139,95 (webcam sphereAF) =344,95 €
Note: tripod not included.
Accuracy= 1/200 * object’s height.
NextEngine scanner
In macro mode, 0.005 inch (0.127 mm) accuracy ; in wide mode 0.015 inch (0.381 mm).
Good Sunday, Andrea.
Attachments
David-Triangles-NextEngine.JPG
sheva

Postby velleca55 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:37 am

velleca55

Postby sheva » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:41 am

These are the other techniques...they are more expensive!
I have tried Vivid 910...it's very powerful!
Flexscan3D:
Instrumentation ‘s cost:
Green laser (178,50 € ) +
Digital camera-Nikon D200 ( 1400$ = 1012 €) +
Light projector- Acer X1160 DLP Projector (480 $ = 347 € ) =
TOTAL COST 1538 €

Vivid 910:

Scan range (depth of field) : 0.6 to 2.5 m (2m for Wide lens)
Optimal 3D measurement range 0.6 to 1.2 m
Accuracy: X: ±0.22mm, Y: ±0.16mm, Z: ±0.10mm to the Z reference plane (Conditions: TELE/FINE mode, Konica Minolta's standard)
Attachments
David-Flexscan-Vivid.JPG
sheva

Postby velleca55 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:33 pm

Vivid non David you have to write in the last column ... :D ...

Now I go to look what is, don't knew ... Vivid 910 ...

OH .. I see ... but is a professional equipment ... don't think is a good comparison ...

The range price is other ... so high for a good comparison ...

I think you have compare only the low cost soft/hardware ... in that way you have to put all the systems on the market ...

Until you talk about David, Triangles or NextEngine, I understand, but pass that amount of investment I don't think is a help for research ... is more a choice how spend a lot of money ...
velleca55

Next

Return to General Discussion