Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

So Long and Thanks For All The Fish!

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

So Long and Thanks For All The Fish!

Postby micr0 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:35 pm

AKA there goes the neighborhood..:

"Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
Relevant content from this forum will be migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

Please visit the HP Support Forums and register to create your new profile."

Now that David will be part of HP Inc. (mega muli national) what are the chances that this forum will die? Or more accurately be allowed to sink into obscurity?

Where will Tibor practice his google English translation skills? Think of the community that will be lost. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best....
µ
micr0

Re: So Long and Thanks For All The Fish!

Postby pottersfriend » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Yeah, unfortunately, I'm not hold out a lot of hope.

Also, I've never liked how HP organizes their website, search, etc. I think it's going to be a mess to get or relay information.

Guess all we can do is wait and see.
pottersfriend

Postby fred_dot_u » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:49 pm

If HP is consistent to their business model, it's not going to be good for many of us. I refer to the "older than 3 years is no longer supported" aspect of their service organization.
fred_dot_u

Postby Sylpheed » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:56 am

Can we create our own David Devotee forum?
Sylpheed

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:22 pm

I went to have a look at the HP forum. It's nothing like this forum.

No David section, no sub-folders. How are we suppose to follow a discussion ? Check what a user has discovered to improve scanning, precision, alignment, etc... ?

It's just a "Problem" --> "Answer (or not)" forum.

This has nothing to do with what has been going on in this forum. No community spirit.

David team,

Will you a least leave the forum running for consultation purposes ? Even if you prevent new posts ?

It's a shame. But I also believe David will lose the valuable "free" feedback and debugging that the members of the forum have provided.

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby micr0 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:29 pm

This would be a time for a company like Growshapes to step up and start a 3rd party forum. In fact I'd love to hear the opinion about the HP merger. I'd be surprised if any of the re sellers were able to talk about such things without violating some clause of their re seller agreement with David, but I'd still like to ask. All that said I don't think there's enough traffic here to motivate someone outside of David to start a site. Maybe we could get the laser scanning forum to start a sub forum. Or perhaps do it on redit?

What I'll miss, which will surely go away, is the access to the developers/support when a new release has bugs. That support coupled to our direct feedback allowed David 5 to be fully functional fairly quickly. The current version of David 5 has worked great for me It never crashes or gives me problems. It sure didn't start out that way.
µ
micr0

Postby hunkatibor2 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:36 am

Hi MicrO
I also have serious doubts about the new forum. The main question is who is going to answer the questions posed. We already can not get a proper answer !!
Tibor :twisted: :oops: :?:
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby Curiousjeff » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:47 am

Dear Tibor,

You actual have known English all the time :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby dklassen » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:22 am

Better get something setup before this forum disappears. Maybe at least a Facebook group for the time being so folks know where to find everyone.
Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts by JDM Dyno.
dklassen

Postby fred_dot_u » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:40 am

Not everyone has relinquished his life to Facebook, so it may not be the optimum choice there.

Does the Dear David Community message absolutely mean that this forum will vanish? The reference I see is that relevant content will be migrated and support is handed off to HP, but the forum doesn't have to go away, does it?
fred_dot_u

Postby dklassen » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:52 am

Not everyone has relinquished his life to Facebook, so it may not be the optimum choice there.

I was suggesting FB at least for a temporary "parking spot" so at least folks here on the forum know where to find each other. You have a lot more faith in HP than I do. I could be wrong but won't surprise me if all this history went poof. What does HP consider "relevant" content?
Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts by JDM Dyno.
dklassen

Postby fred_dot_u » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:14 am

We aren't getting official word regarding anything and I share your concern that all this will vanish. There's a substantial amount of valuable reference in the posts that would be a severe loss to the community should it go away. It will be a severe challenge to the community should it be migrated to HP.
fred_dot_u

Postby dklassen » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:34 pm

I put up a FB group as a placeholder just in case this place goes poof on Nov 1. I've also been copying out as many threads and posts as I can that are at least informational and relevant to me anyway. No way to get everything. Hopefully we won't need it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/709432042547234/
dklassen

Postby fred_dot_u » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:19 am

I found a web site downloader here:
https://www.httrack.com/page/2/en/index.html
with versions for almost every operating system one would want. If this site vanishes, the download could become collectively a privately held resource, yes?
fred_dot_u

Postby dklassen » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:31 am

Posts are stored in a database. I doubt this would pick it up.
dklassen

Next

Return to General Discussion