Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

So Long and Thanks For All The Fish!

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

Re: So Long and Thanks For All The Fish!

Postby fred_dot_u » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:35 pm

After running the program overnight, I've collected 1.5GB downloaded information. The home index page shows the message listing and I had hoped that at least one thread of messages had downloaded completely. It has. I can click through the first thread posted in the first topic of the index and read the messages. This bodes well for having an archive of the site should it disappear.

As an open source free program, it's not particularly feature rich, but has an update option. If I understand it correctly, that means I can run the software periodically to refresh without having to capture the entire site each time. That's good for me as I expect many hours yet to remain to collect the entire site.
fred_dot_u

Postby dklassen » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Interesting. Nicely done.
Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts by JDM Dyno.
dklassen

Postby geodav » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:42 pm

been following David since (uhmmm) long time, never had the money for a licince but did buy the hand held laser to try it out way back,

so Goliath does win in the end, shame but looking at the market it was bound to happen.

Wish eveyone all the best and i'll try to follow.

for those looking for other options have a look here
http://reconstructme.net/
http://dacuda.com/
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ut40k-the-chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UDK
http://www.youtube.com/user/ut40kgeodav?feature=mhee My Youtube Tutorial Channel for all things conserning the Unreal Developement Kit
geodav

Postby ThomasSc » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:37 pm

geodav wrote:been following David since (uhmmm) long time, never had the money for a licince but did buy the hand held laser to try it out way back,

so Goliath does win in the end, shame but looking at the market it was bound to happen.

Wish eveyone all the best and i'll try to follow.

for those looking for other options have a look here
http://reconstructme.net/
http://dacuda.com/

Yes, very bad for us, david team stops the David 5 in beta stadium.

I think better options are on http://en.shining3d.com/
ThomasSc

Postby dklassen » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:05 pm

Hey Fred, your download ever finish? I gave it a go and got the whole thing on my local computer.
Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts by JDM Dyno.
dklassen

Postby fred_dot_u » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:30 pm

Unfortunately, after collecting about 2 gb to an internal drive with sufficient space, my secondary internal drive (documents, not OS) crashed. Carbonite is currently re-loading almost 200 gb of data, but it's been given priority of bandwidth in order to get my system back to "normal" as fast as possible. Unfortunately again, the expected completion is approximately 30 days duration, based on the plan I'm paying and the last four days of restoring. Tech support says it's likely due to large numbers of small files, but isn't that what computers use? Most of my documents and support files are small so I suppose the expected duration is reasonably accurate.

I can upgrade to personal prime coverage at a discount, getting a rebate from my current plan applied to the wickedly expensive prime version, then order an external drive for seven dollars fifty and get all my data back in one fell swoop. Each day that passes reduces my rebate value and increases the likelihood that I'll spring for the big buck plan.

If I don't, I probably will lose the ability to capture the site. That's another reason to spend the bucks and go for the shipped external hard drive.
fred_dot_u

Postby fred_dot_u » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:03 am

I can't find an edit icon or option for the previously posted message. After creating that message, I took the jump and changed plans, ordering the external drive. I could have my documents back in operation by the weekend, rather than one month away. The second benefit arises from freeing up the download bandwidth that Carbonite was using to perform the restore.

After placing the order for the drive and plan change, I fired up the web site collection program and hit the resume option. This resource is at least as valuable as the rapid restoration of my lost files.
fred_dot_u

Postby dklassen » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:06 am

I'd be very surprised if HP went to all the trouble to import this entire site into their support boards. None the less I have it now for archival purposes.
dklassen

Postby Sven » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:33 am

Hi all,

I'm sorry to see that many people are so anxious to see DAVID and our user Community move into the HP Support Forum. I understand your worries about the forum and the great content that it contains.
The notification box at the top was meant to be brief, so let me give you some more info and address some of your worries:

- HP does care about the David forum and the users, and wants you all to continue to engage with each other on the HP Support Forum community.

- That's why there will be a special 3D Scanning section in HP's Support Forum, which is scheduled to go live on November 1, 2016. :D

- The David forum and all its posts will remain online, but read-only, for at least the next 3 months.

- We will not simply delete the entire forum. The most important topics will be migrated immediately, and we are discussing our options to preserve / migrate more topics.

- This forum contains a lot of great contributions, but those are often hard to find between lots of "standard" topics, and many contributions are outdated and irrelevant for new users. This is an opportunity for us to re-structure the forum (which we should have done earlier from time to time), and remove contents which does not help anyone any more - or which even confuses new users.

- The community is what you, the users, make it out to be and the community interaction does not have to be that much different than before. You will still have the ability to post questions and solutions and make replies to other users just as you did before. If you want to collaborate with each other, the HP Support Forum will still be a place for you to do so.

- Access to developers: The HP support team will probably be able to respond and help faster and better than the DAVID developer team did in the past. Please understand that the software and hardware R&D team can not be present in the forum. That was possible and really great and helpful only in our first years, but as you know it got more and more difficult and time consuming in the last years, and is just not realistic for a big company. Of course the Support Team will escalate some topics when required, and pass on some Feature Requests, so help from the developers will not disappear completely.

I hope this helps to give you an idea about HP’s plans. Please let us know if you have more questions.

Best regards
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby hunkatibor2 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:14 am

Hi Sven
:D
Tibor
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby avogra » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:16 am

That is great to hear! Sounds much better than what I imagined.

You asked for mor questions...

What matters to me even more than the forum is the David software itself. For me it seemed obvious that David won't continue to be as it is now, like the technology might be incorporated in something larger. Will there be more updates for David 5? Maybe I can even upgrade to a new version? Can I use my hardware in the future?
Projector: Acer K11 with Achromat f=400mm | Cameras: 2x Logitech 9000 Pro with custom C-Mount body | Lenses: 1x Computar M1214-MP, 1x Computar M5018-MP, 1x Schneider-Kreuznach Cinegon CNG 1.4/12
avogra

Postby avogra » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:10 am

Sorry for my last question. You already answered that back in July here: http://forum.david-3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6766&hilit=news#p34122 So I'm looking forward to what is to come :)
Projector: Acer K11 with Achromat f=400mm | Cameras: 2x Logitech 9000 Pro with custom C-Mount body | Lenses: 1x Computar M1214-MP, 1x Computar M5018-MP, 1x Schneider-Kreuznach Cinegon CNG 1.4/12
avogra

Postby fritts » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:00 pm

Thought this was an interesting headline...

http://3dscanexpert.com/hp-adding-seaml ... prout-pro/
fritts

Previous

Return to General Discussion