Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Image Grabber on David 5? - A lot of questions!!!

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

Image Grabber on David 5? - A lot of questions!!!

Postby formaxcol » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Hi Guys, my first post, I had been reading and checking the gallery and looks like is the right product, for me playing with the kinect for 3d scanning to david is mind blowing. I would like to make a couple questions before asking for a budget to get the sls-2.

I was checking the info but I can't find anything related to the image grabber on david 5, it is possible to use the image grabber workflow (looks like is the best to get excellent results)
SLS-2 comes with the option to jump to david 5?, how much?

All of you guys suggest to use a global shutter camera, why some people use the Panasonic Gh4 when is a rolling shutter? (Doesn't matter if it's rolling if you bring down the fps?) as today what is the perfect camera/projector setup?, Canon 5D Mark III with Image Grabber (I have that camera with a really fast lens) or the 1080p 60fps directshow capture with global (60fps) /rolling (Low fps) shutter camera?

A lot of people talks a bout syncing the projector and the camera, I have a firepro W8100 and the s400 genlock card (For broadcasting uses) but I can try to use a Panny Gh4 with the genlock option, it is possible to increase the quality of the final scans choosing that workflow?

Sorry about so many questions the first time, but bear with me, I have a ton more!!!
formaxcol

Re: Image Grabber on David 5? - A lot of questions!!!

Postby Curiousjeff » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:59 pm

I believe that image grabber is not yet implemented in David 5.

Did you try Image grabber with David 4 ? I don't think there will be much of a difference between the two versions regarding Image Grabber.

Since David is free to try and you seem to have a lot of equipment, you should go ahead and test , test test....

I have only used DSLR (canon, Nikon and Panasonic) so I can't comment on non rolling shutter cameras.

I imagine that the perfect setup would be a b&w large chip camera fullhd or more (global shutter) and a non diamond shaped pixel b&w projector. But its usually easier to start with available material.

Beware that you can only use the Canon cameras in a very low resolution, even the 5D with the USB connection. To get a higher resolution (i.e fullhd) you will need an HDMI capture device. This is not standard but has worked for me, usually under Windows 7.

I don't bring down the FPS, on the contrary, I try to get as high as possible.

Image grabber is a little complicated, but look for Let scan software from Narmella to help work much faster.

The genlock idea sounds interesting, but will only be useful if you can live capture the signal from the camera into the PC using a Directshow capture card.

Since you seem to be highly equiped, I can only recommend to test all options.

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby micr0 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:08 pm

Curiousjeff wrote:I believe that image grabber is not yet implemented in David 5.

Did you try Image grabber with David 4 ? I don't think there will be much of a difference between the two versions regarding Image Grabber.

Since David is free to try and you seem to have a lot of equipment, you should go ahead and test , test test....

I have only used DSLR (canon, Nikon and Panasonic) so I can't comment on non rolling shutter cameras.

I imagine that the perfect setup would be a b&w large chip camera fullhd or more (global shutter) and a non diamond shaped pixel b&w projector. But its usually easier to start with available material.

Beware that you can only use the Canon cameras in a very low resolution, even the 5D with the USB connection. To get a higher resolution (i.e fullhd) you will need an HDMI capture device. This is not standard but has worked for me, usually under Windows 7.

I don't bring down the FPS, on the contrary, I try to get as high as possible.

Image grabber is a little complicated, but look for Let scan software from Narmella to help work much faster.

The genlock idea sounds interesting, but will only be useful if you can live capture the signal from the camera into the PC using a Directshow capture card.

Since you seem to be highly equiped, I can only recommend to test all options.

Jeff

The Imaging source camera will take a sync/trigger signal and I tried frame locking it to the sync in the HDMI signal to the projector (FWIW I'm using an AMD W7100 video card). However, even after spending a lot of time getting it to even sort of work, I was never able to get results that were better than just using and appropriate display frame rate set in the AMD control panel.
µ
micr0

Postby micr0 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:13 pm

one question I still haven't found a good answer for is why I get significantly more accurate results using the cannon T3i and let's scan over the Imagingsource Camera and Live view capture. With Lets scan, scan align beautifully every time. a quality I haven't been able to replicate with the other method. That said I don't usually use Let's scan because of how slow the process is.

Any thoughts on this?
µ
micr0

Postby formaxcol » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:05 am

Thanks a lot guys for the comments, I will try David 4, I will post my results with the genlock/sync - Black magic card workflow. thanks a lot!!!
formaxcol

Postby Curiousjeff » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:54 am

Blackmagic can be very buggy and their tech support is terrible.

Not to waste time and energy, the first thing to do is to make sure you can get the video signal into David. Then check resolution and fps capture rate of David (not the capture card).

To check resolution, setup the control folder

Create a subfolder "SL-TestSequence" in your DAVID application folder (DAVID must have write access ! ).

Then scan (even without projector and calibration). Check the images in the folder to see that all is ok.

Be sure to remove the folder after, or not David will be very slow since it is saving each image to disk

Of course, the HDMI must be "clean".

The GH4 has a manual fine fps adjustment that works very well.

Let us know how it goes. I am interested.

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Return to General Discussion