Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Windows 10 "Anniversary Update" Warning!

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

Windows 10 "Anniversary Update" Warning!

Postby drndadoo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:12 am

Hi everyone,

few users already reported problem btw. DAVID and 1607 Update. I was reading a lot of articles about this update and here is, maybe, the best advice I found:

"Given the massive testing and repeated refinement that brought us Windows 10 Anniversary Update, you’d think the rollout would proceed with few debilitating problems.
But you’d be wrong. From common installation problems to minor irritants to significant data destruction, reports of problems are mounting up.

You should consider dodging the update until Microsoft irons out the worst difficulties"

Or at lease make a restore point before you apply this update.

Good luck!
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Re: Windows 10 Anniversary update

Postby alioguler » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi all,
Especially fresh installation of Windows 10 in 1607 should be much more careful.
In fact David 3D scanner and camera drivers and updates about the necessary improvements being developed, should not be the operating system upgrade!
Best Regards.
alioguler

Postby micr0 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:04 pm

I'll reiterate my assertion that anyone using windows 10 should upgrade to windows 7 immediately! :D
µ
micr0

Postby drndadoo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:03 am

micr0 wrote:I'll reiterate my assertion that anyone using windows 10 should upgrade to windows 7 immediately! :D

:D +1
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby Sven » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:11 am

Dear DAVID Users,

In the latest Win10 version 1607 "Anniversary Update", Microsoft has done some drastic changes to the DirectShow interface. Many camera models do not work any more, including Logitech Webcams and our DAVID-CAM-3-M / DAVID-CAM-3.1-M from the SLS-2. The SLS-3 camera DAVID-CAM-4-M will work, but in color mode RGB24 instead of Y800, which makes scanning slower.

Our camera manufacturer (and many others in the world) are working on a solution.

At this point the user can do nothing but AVOID the 1607 update, or roll back to the previous version of Windows 10.

How to ROLL BACK:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-uninstall-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

How to AVOID:
"With the update rolling out slowly, there’s a good chance it hasn’t yet tried to install itself on your machine. If that’s the case, you can proactively try to block the update for now.
- If you’re on a Wi-Fi connection, you can use the metered connection trick to keep the Anniversary Update off your machine.
- If you have Windows 10 Pro, you can bypass the forced update to Win10 Anniversary Update by clicking Start > Settings > Update & recovery > Advanced Options and check the box marked Defer upgrades.
- If you aren’t on Wi-Fi and only have Win10 Home, you’re forced into a considerably more complex blocking situation which involves using wushowhide to keep it off your machine."
(from http://www.infoworld.com/article/3104389/microsoft-windows/the-case-against-windows-10-anniversary-update-grows.html)

Does anyone know a better way?

We'll keep you posted.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Re: Windows 10 "Anniversary Update" Warning!

Postby Sven » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:43 pm

The latest DAVID 4 and 5 versions, released today, are able to detect when a camera connection fails on that Windows 10 version, and show a user info message, but there is no way we can actually solve the problem. We need to wait for a fix from Microsoft oder from the camera manufacturer. We'll keep you posted.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby billyd » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:37 pm

I've been shocked to learn that my SLS-2 scanner will not work with Win 10 ver 1607! Since I've been using it (without issue) with the anniversary update for about a month. Bizarre!
billyd

Postby formwurx » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:53 am

Tried to roll back, no back up to roll back to! Only other option is to reinstall from factory DVD and completely reset, that's 2 days of my life I'll never get back. I'll keep scanning on my big rig and wait for the fix for my laptop.
formwurx

Postby dklassen » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:25 pm

I let the 1607 update run without thinking too much about it. All I had to do was reinstall the DFK42BUC03 drivers. All seems well.
Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts by JDM Dyno.
dklassen

Postby drndadoo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:14 am

The latest Windows 10 update (KB3194496) fixed the problem with DAVID Cam 4 and DAVID Cam 3.1
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Return to General Discussion