Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Hp Acquire David Laser

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

Re: Hp Acquire David Laser

Postby macdaddyjaz » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Congratulations guys. You have democratised 3d scanning for people like me and you deserve the success that comes from your hard work.

May your success continue! HP will be better for having your influence.
-Optoma EP1690 - 1280 x 768
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
-Home made adjustable rig mounted on a telescope tripod

Postby gkrywusha » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:24 am

Thanks Sven on shedding some light on the situation.

I know that acquisition bring a bit of uncertainty with them. Knowing that David will continue to support their product as well as look beyond their normal resources brings a sigh of relief.
Looking forward to seeing what you and the rest of the team have in store.

Greg Krywusha

Postby Alf.from.Melmac » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:21 pm

Sven wrote:
macdaddyjaz wrote:Although I understand your grievance, when negotiating with big corporations there will be clauses that prevent discussion or warning of the business deal/merger. Disappointing as the lack of communication is, legally they will be obliged to keep silent. All articles I have read so far make a point of stating that the terms of the deal have not been disclosed (apart from the fact the david team will become a part of the HP team).

I am sure that as soon as they are able to, they will give us some information regarding their and our future.

Exactly. Thanks macdaddyjaz, you are right. It is normal to have strict confidentiality during negotiations. I am sorry we had to keep everyone "in the dark" and I'm happy that that period is now over.

Don't worry, the DAVID products will be continued and developed further. We will continue to sell and support existing products and customers. You can expect flexible and powerful 3D scanners from us, as always.

I understand your worries that a big new owner can mean lots of changes, also negative ones. In this case, the complete DAVID team (developers, sales, production, etc) remains, the products are continued, and more: Given HPs resources, we have fantastic possibilities for future development, which we could not even dream of before. I can't give any details, but we are planning interesting new products... The entire DAVID team is excited about it! :D

DAVID5: Today, DAVID 5.0 is 99% finished and about to be released, probably next week. As always, we will offer Upgrades for those who own a DAVID4 license. There are several new features in DAVID5, including Dual Camera support - we will release more info about that a.s.a.p.

Thank you for shedding some light of the subject.
Can you please comment about the upgrade price from v4 to v5?

Postby dklassen » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:28 pm

Indeed, congratulations. I'd also like hear more about the upgrade price as well as it's touching almost the full price of v4. That means I'll have $945 in software if I upgrade to 5 but a new 5 user is all in at $695. I'd like to see the upgrade priced more fairly for existing and NEW 4 users at around $195. I think that would be a lot more fair. As much as I love my David software, the upgrade to full price ratio is a bit outrageous.
Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts by JDM Dyno.

Postby Sven » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:32 pm

I can't really say much about prices - I leave that up to the sales team and I support their concept.
I wrote something more here: viewtopic.php?p=34159#p34159 - Probably won't change your mind, but that's all I can say.
DAVID Developer

Return to General Discussion