Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Hp Acquire David Laser

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

Hp Acquire David Laser

Postby macdaddyjaz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:46 pm

Would I be cynical to think that the well priced reasonable David scanner system will soon be a thing of the past?!

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20160705- ... tions.html
-Optoma EP1690 - 1280 x 768
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
-Home made adjustable rig mounted on a telescope tripod
macdaddyjaz

Re: Hp Acquire David Laser

Postby dangre » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:05 pm

Interesting...
Dan
DAVID-CAM-1-C, Acer K11, Macro lenses for K11, Logitech Pro 9000, EOS 40D
dangre

Postby micr0 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:14 pm

There goes the neighborhood.

FWIW the David 5 pricing scheme kind of solidified a feeling that I had had about David becoming more and more corporate (larger) and caring less about the grass roots community here. This shouldn't be so surprising but it still is not good news for us. HP is just another big soulless corporation. Let's hope for the best.
µ
micr0

Postby macdaddyjaz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:07 pm

I wish the David team all the best as they have made a fantastic product that they deserve to profit from.

However - 3D scanning is still this uber niche market that companies can charge what ever they want for the service and the hardware. I hope HP see the benefit of democratising the tech with reasonable pricing, cultivating a market of designers like myself that could never afford a high end scanner, rather than jumping into an already saturated market of high end, expensive scanning systems.

David team - if your reading this (which I expect your not as it seems you checked out a while ago from some of the posts. . . .) good luck, but remember us yeah ;)
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
macdaddyjaz

Postby milz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:27 pm

so congratz to the david team. hope you got good money for long years of amazing work -)
Xeon x5650@4ghz
Cam : USB2 CCD 1024x768 / USB3 1280x900
Laser : LC532-5-3-F(16x65) Focusable Green
Projector Acer X110P / Acer K132
dControl one David control box + Turntable + automatic texture lights
mooooom bathroom!!!!!!
milz

Postby drndadoo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:20 am

Here is a HP Blog about DAVID acquisition:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/blog/3 ... ition.html
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby mr_cg » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:04 pm

Not sure if this is good news for us who have bought a David license.
Will this have impact to our existing licenses? What about further updates/upgrades?

I hope David team will let us know about this.
DAVID4 Pro v4.3.6 (64bit) - david-cam-3.1-m - IDS UEYE UI-1540-M - Canon EOS 600d (Canon Lens: EF-S 18-135 IS) - Acer K135i Projector + 37mm Close-Up Lens
mr_cg

Postby Alf.from.Melmac » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:48 pm

Their silence on the subject indicates contempt for their customers. It seems that they look for a way to say: you have been fucked up while we moved on to develop a dedicated system for HP.

Shame on you DAVID for not updating us of the future of the product
Alf.from.Melmac

Postby macdaddyjaz » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Alf.from.Melmac wrote:Their silence on the subject indicates contempt for their customers. It seems that they look for a way to say: you have been fucked up while we moved on to develop a dedicated system for HP.

Shame on you DAVID for not updating us of the future of the product

Although I understand your grievance, when negotiating with big corporations there will be clauses that prevent discussion or warning of the business deal/merger. Disappointing as the lack of communication is, legally they will be obliged to keep silent. All articles I have read so far make a point of stating that the terms of the deal have not been disclosed (apart from the fact the david team will become a part of the HP team).

I am sure that as soon as they are able to, they will give us some information regarding their and our future.
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
macdaddyjaz

Postby micr0 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:50 pm

macdaddyjaz wrote:
Alf.from.Melmac wrote:
I am sure that as soon as they are able to, they will give us some information regarding their and our future.

Or not. We are small potatoes to a company like HP. We are the early adopters and HP bought David to incorporate it's tech into their Sprout platform. Since we don't' know the terms of the deal, we don't know if HP plans to allow David to remain as an autonomous company, still producing the software/SLS kits. Or if they will let this tiny company wither and die, assimilating the tech and Davids engineers into some HP division. How many total users do you think David has world wide? 2-5K? HP has a market cap of almost $23B, and they probably piss off more people before lunch than have ever even heard of David. I just hope that the deal left David intact, At least for the time being.
µ
micr0

Postby Alf.from.Melmac » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:25 pm

macdaddyjaz wrote:
We are the early adopters and HP bought David to incorporate it's tech into their Sprout platform.

Now, when they successfully implemented the two camera version (stereo) and a new scan pattern, they will release it as version 5 under HP brand and the price of the upgrade will be at least 400 euros. Sadly, our long awaited stereo version will be out of our hand reach. After that I would not be surprised if the product will be obsolete
Alf.from.Melmac

Postby Sven » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:02 pm

macdaddyjaz wrote:Although I understand your grievance, when negotiating with big corporations there will be clauses that prevent discussion or warning of the business deal/merger. Disappointing as the lack of communication is, legally they will be obliged to keep silent. All articles I have read so far make a point of stating that the terms of the deal have not been disclosed (apart from the fact the david team will become a part of the HP team).

Exactly. Thanks macdaddyjaz, you are right. It is normal to have strict confidentiality during negotiations. I am sorry we had to keep everyone "in the dark" and I'm happy that that period is now over.

Don't worry, the DAVID products will be continued and developed further. We will continue to sell and support existing products and customers. You can expect flexible and powerful 3D scanners from us, as always.

I understand your worries that a big new owner can mean lots of changes, also negative ones. In this case, the complete DAVID team (developers, sales, production, etc) remains, the products are continued, and more: Given HPs resources, we have fantastic possibilities for future development, which we could not even dream of before. I can't give any details, but we are planning interesting new products... The entire DAVID team is excited about it! :D

DAVID5: Today, DAVID 5.0 is 99% finished and about to be released, probably next week. As always, we will offer Upgrades for those who own a DAVID4 license. There are several new features in DAVID5, including Dual Camera support - we will release more info about that a.s.a.p.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby micr0 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks Sven.
You sound very enthusiastic about the deal and so I will look forward to cool things in the future. As for David 5; As an engineer I'm sure you know that 99% finished means only 99% left to go. :D That said, I can't wait to try out the new version!
µ
micr0

Postby Sven » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:54 pm

micr0 wrote:As an engineer I'm sure you know that 99% finished means only 99% left to go. :D

Yes, that's for DAVID 5.1, 5.2, ... :wink:
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby pottersfriend » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:59 pm

I'm much more relaxed about this, now hearing what Sven has had to say. Congrats David team and I look forward to the future!
pottersfriend

Next

Return to General Discussion