Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

First scan to CAD project

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

First scan to CAD project

Postby dklassen » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Not exactly ground breaking but it was my first dry run with SpaceClaim. Let the learning process begin!

http://www.midtenmaker.com/blog/reverse ... g-process/
Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts by JDM Dyno.
dklassen

Re: First scan to CAD project

Postby micr0 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:48 pm

Very Nice.

What is it about Spaceclaim that makes it good at creating CAD models from Scan meshes? Are these models parametric like the ones that say Geomagic Design X can produce?
µ
micr0

Postby dklassen » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:18 pm

It has a great suite of tools specifically reverse engineering. SpaceClaim is a direct modeler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPUoQu3fH1M
Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts by JDM Dyno.
dklassen

Postby Tijs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:51 am

For reverse engineering SpaceClaim is great. It's quite easy to get your model as a solid within a few hours for a good price. But I am not convinced yet about modelling with Spaceclaim, yet. One tip: Copy all your sketches with spaceclaim, as it is a direct modeller the sketches are not linked to a feature, if you want to make any changes in the design you'll have to use that sketch again. Use copy sketch and you are safe.

Maybe it is a mindset if you are used to a parametric interface as Solidworks, or it is my stubborn Dutch mindset :roll:

But I'll give at a shot!
Tijs

Postby dklassen » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:11 am

I'm no CAD expert by any stretch but I'm not sure what you mean by copy all your sketches. With direct modeling not being feature based you can literally edit any part of the model at any time... directly, even files created in other packages like Solidworks. Again I'm no expert but direct modeling is da bomb at least for me. I can't imagine doing it any other way. In their next release coming up, some of the new reverse engineering tools are incredible. Almost too easy... like STL skinning.
dklassen

Postby Tijs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:10 am

What I ment with copy sketches is that when you have used the blend tool for example you will lose your sketches (and maybe guide lines) for that blend you have made.

But....when you want to make a change in the blend your sketches are gone. Something you don't have in software like Solidworks or such. They will keep all you sketches in the feature tree.

But I understand your point, if Spaceclaim is the first modelling software for you it must be quite easy to work with :)

And reverse engineering with spaceclaim is very good!

Made a scan from this hub carrier
Tijs

Postby mgordeeva250 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:26 am

Your project is really nice! I'm not a great expert in that too, but to my mind, Geomagic for Solidworks is actually a better program... I've tried it a couple of times and it's really great!
mgordeeva250

Postby Tijs » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:12 pm

What have you paid for your geomagic licence? Spaceclaim costs around 3500 euro including a one day training and maintance contract...
Tijs

Return to General Discussion