Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Here is David 5 Aparent upgrade pricing

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

Here is David 5 Aparent upgrade pricing

Postby micr0 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:31 pm

As per us re seller Growshapes

http://www.growshapes.com/david-3d-scan ... tware.html

$450 to upgrade is a bit insulting in that it is twice the difference between the retail price of David 4 and the new David 5. So if I upgrade, I will have spent ~25% more for David 5 then someone just buying it now. Sort of Davids way of telling it's current user base how much they are appreciated I guess.
µ
micr0

Re: Here is David 5 Aparent upgrade pricing

Postby gkrywusha » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:12 pm

My god!

That is absolutely ludicrous. A difference of $90.00 between Full 4 and Upgrade 5? That isn't the way to help bolster the community. The price of the upgrade should be at least the same price of 5 Full - 4 Full... $350.00. Not $450.00. Even that seems really high.

I bought my version 4 through Growshapes as a digital license with license key sent via checkout. It was literally a third of this price. Even if David 5 makes me coffee in the morning, is it really worth 3 times the price? I hope David recognizes this isn't going to go over too well.
gkrywusha

Postby dklassen » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:49 am

David think's pretty highly of it's own software and hardware that for sure. Don't get me wrong, I like it and they were the one's that put high quality scanning within my financial reach. However, the prices they ask for a K132 projector, Industrial CCD camera and some aluminum brackets is astronomical. I think $500 for the software in a niche market is reasonable but not to give v4 users a reasonable upgrade path to 5 is pretty insulting to existing customers. Come on David, you need to rethink this. Not sure they even read these forums anyway or even check for new registration requests.

Speaking of prices, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on SpaceClaim tomorrow. Engineering software is just crazy expensive.
Acer Aspire V15 laptop w/ 8g ram / Windows 10, Acer K132, DFK 42BUC03, Computar Megapixel 2/3 12mm, David 4.0, V-Slot 1000x20x40 linear rail, Cam and Projector mounts by JDM Dyno.
dklassen

Postby drndadoo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:38 am

Hi dklassen

we are reading the forum and checking for the newcomers, but we do not make any comments on price.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby avogra » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:53 am

So the new version is coming out soon? I ordered David4 only 5 days ago. Now I think about returning it and waiting for availability of David5 in germany.
Projector: Acer K11 with Achromat f=400mm | Cameras: 2x Logitech 9000 Pro with custom C-Mount body | Lenses: 1x Computar M1214-MP, 1x Computar M5018-MP, 1x Schneider-Kreuznach Cinegon CNG 1.4/12
avogra

Postby micr0 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:04 pm

drndadoo wrote:Hi dklassen

we are reading the forum and checking for the newcomers, but we do not make any comments on price.

drndado
We don't want comments, just something that tells us you don't just see us as a source of more money. Seriously, David has gotten a lot of very valuable ($) material from the users here. The Market research, product feedback and product support that users offer here Has to be worth something. A post to this forum is more likely to be answered by a veteran user here than by a David any employee that has just happens to have check the forum this month. This forum is very much a selling point of David. I am also seeing the images we post here of our scans/work all over the place in Davids promotional material (i.e. David is making money from our images). I'm also seeing their re sellers using those images too which is NOT in the user agreement we accepted by signing up here. Last week a US re seller sent me my own image as a promo for David. Without attribution or remuneration. Even disregarding the forum users here, the fact that the upgrade is twice the difference of purchasing David5 over David4 is what I take the biggest issue with. Like the last poster who just ordered David 4, who may have wanted 5 can simply pay the difference? Personally I think the upgrade for existing users should be at least just that difference if not a small (say 10%) discount for people who have already invested in your company. This has really diminished my enthusiasm for David as a whole, and I'm certainly not going to be posting any more images here. I'd also encourage Narmella, curiousjeff etc to do the same.
µ
micr0

Postby micr0 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:32 pm

In fairness to David I just got some more info on what is included in the new David 5. And it sounds like there are some pretty significant enhancements beyond the duel camera support and the new patterns to scan glossy surfaces. One of the new enhancements apparently address something that has been a big issue for me and that alone (if true) would be a strong motivation for me to upgrade. However I am still strongly stand by my assertion that the cost of the upgrade shouldn't be nearly twice the difference in the cost of the old version vs the new version. And a slight discount and some advanced information for contributing forum users (community) would be nice. At least tell me I'm pretty before you put your hand up my skirt.
µ
micr0

Postby gkrywusha » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:32 pm

Hey Micro,

As it seems we aren't going to get any information quickly on David 5, can you enlighten us on what you heard? I'm wondering what it is you found that would even justify its cost. I too feel the same way about David not commenting on anything in regard to this. Part of David's marketing are these forums and word of mouth from users here. So I really hope they consider this in regard to pricing.
gkrywusha

Postby drndadoo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:13 pm

I am really not allowed to discuss the prices here, to be honest I do not know the prices. IMHO DAVID was always playing fair, should we have any doubts about future?
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby avogra » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:19 pm

If you leave prices aside, can you tell us when David 5 will be officially released? At least roughly?
To me growshape's offer seems not to be intended by David-3D as the new version is not even remotely mentioned on the website. But now it is obvious that there is a new version close. If you just said, that there went something wrong with growshape putting an offer online, I would be perfectly pleased for now. And maybe a hint, if it makes sense for me to return my licence :P
Projector: Acer K11 with Achromat f=400mm | Cameras: 2x Logitech 9000 Pro with custom C-Mount body | Lenses: 1x Computar M1214-MP, 1x Computar M5018-MP, 1x Schneider-Kreuznach Cinegon CNG 1.4/12
avogra

Return to General Discussion