Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

SLS v Laser scanning

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

SLS v Laser scanning

Postby scobo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:04 pm

Very new here so please be gentle. :lol:
I've been tinkering with the demo version of David using a Logitech C270 webcam and line laser and getting decent results but not as good as some of the scans I've seen on here.
I understand that a projector will greatly increase scanning speed but does it also improve quality over using a laser or is scan quality just down to the quality and resolution of the camera ?
Acer K10 projector - Logitech C615 webcam (unmodded)
64 bit Windows 10 - 64 bit David 4
scobo

Re: SLS v Laser scanning

Postby drndadoo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:29 am

Hi scobo,

both techniques have advantages and disadvantages. You should be aware that many scan results are also edited (enhanced) in some 3D software.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby WalterMo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:23 pm

Hello, we are (mainly) always gentle. :wink:

When DAVID came up in 2009 with structured light we had some discussions in this thread over several sites. Specially have a look on Simon's post on May 26, 2009:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1145

Regarding prices:
A LED projector (res 800x600) isn't much more expensive than a stepping motor with gear and its controller to pivot the laser.
WalterMo

Postby mr_cg » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:31 pm

With Hand Laser Scanning ...
... you will not reach smooth quality like SLS.
... you always need the calibration panel as background what is real con for larger objects.

With motorized Laser Scanning ...
... you will be able to get similar quality results like SLS, BUT you need to build very precise stepper/gear combination to achive this. In princible you should be able - by very precise motorized laser setup - to achieve better quality than SLS. Anyhow, limiting factor will be cam resolution.
... the total price for stepper, gear, automatic shutter control and good quality laser (e.g. blue) will be on similar level or even more expensive than SLS setup
... the scanning time is much higher than SLS

If you also like to enjoy cinema evening on projector at home then you have an additional argument for SLS. ;-)
DAVID4 Pro v4.3.6 (64bit) - david-cam-3.1-m - IDS UEYE UI-1540-M - Canon EOS 600d (Canon Lens: EF-S 18-135 IS) - Acer K135i Projector + 37mm Close-Up Lens
mr_cg

Postby scobo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:11 am

Thanks guys.
I'll probably go with the laser for now with a view to upgrading to sls later.
Acer K10 projector - Logitech C615 webcam (unmodded)
64 bit Windows 10 - 64 bit David 4
scobo

Return to General Discussion