Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

DAVID 4 Released

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

DAVID 4 Released

Postby Sven » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Hi,

As many have already seen, we have released DAVID v4. :D

Unfortunately the last months have been full with various projects, so the release was not as smooth (and early) as we had hoped. It's not just finishing the software, it's also getting translations made, writing user manuals, website... Also new hardware products like Turn Table and Desk Scan Lever had to be finished...

We will announce those new things in the next newsletter, but I would like to post some info about DAVID4 in the forum now.

Download: http://www.david-3d.com/de/support/downloads

New Features (Pro Version):
- Turntable support
- automatic scan background filter
- automatic scan outlier filter (coming in 4.2)
- Volume/surface area computation (blue i button)
- own file format for scans (.davidmesh) and projects (.davidproj) which allow very fast load and save
- new, more convenient GUI
- some improvements under the hood

Enterprise Version:
The Enterprise version has additional features that aim at industrial users, for automation, quality inspection...:
- Mesh comparison
- Measurement
- SDK support

Free Trial Version:
As before, you can download a free version. It has all functions for you to test, but saving the results is reduced resp. disabled.

SDK:
Described here: http://www.david-3d.com/de/products/david-sdk
Detailed API documentation: http://docs.david-3d.com/sdk/en

Further development:
Of course DAVID 4 has just started, and we are working on more improvements. There will probably be one more DAVID 3 update with some small fixes, but development is focused on v4.

Updates / Upgrades:
As usual, all updates within the same major version are free.
Upgrades e.g. from v3 to v4 must be purchased, they are available for a fair price. Please contact your reseller: http://www.david-3d.com/de/buy
Note: All who purchased an SLS-2 with DAVID3 later than 1. Dec. 2014, will be contacted and will receive a free Upgrade to v.4!

I'm very sorry about the long delay. I'll try to keep the forum better up-to-date :D

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Re: DAVID 4 Released

Postby fred_dot_u » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:17 pm

Many days ago, I learned of the release of v4. As a v3 owner, I am interested in the additional features of the updated/upgraded software. I contacted the original re-seller in the USA (Miami, FL area) about that time. I have not yet had a reply. This is poor customer service. Even a simple reply that they were awaiting pricing or stock or supplies or something, but no. Silence.

Is it required to use the same re-seller as the original v3 in order to upgrade to v4?

Once the v4 is operational, is it permitted to uninstall v4, re-install v3 or is the v3 license terminated? If it is permitted to back-step to v3, can one perform another upgrade to v4? Is there a limit to the number of times this forward and back dance can be performed?

That's it for questions.

thanks

fred
fred_dot_u

Postby Sven » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:24 pm

I'm sorry about your disappointment about the US reseller.

You can purchase the Upgrade Code from any reseller, there is no connection to the original purchase.

Upgrading means ADDITIONALLY installing DAVID4. You can have v3 and v4 installed and use them as you like. v3 and v4 do not interact with each other.

USB:
- DAVID3 is usually installed on the USB key, but may also be installed on the hard disk (use the setup installer).
- DAVID4 is usually installed on the hard disk (use the setup installer).
BOTH need to find the USB key plugged in, with a valid license file located in the folder "DAVID3" resp. "DAVID4". Without that, they will start with a warning, be "Free/Trial", and won't allow saving.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby fred_dot_u » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:38 pm

Thank you for your quick response. I am encouraged by all of your answers.

To others reading this topic, would you consider to either post here or in a private message if you've had a good experience with a US reseller and especially if you've upgraded to v4?

thanks
fred_dot_u

Postby micr0 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Try Growshapes.com. I've dealt with them twice (including upgrading to v4) and they have been great to deal with. Two other listed resellers in the US never got back to me when I called and emailed, and MyDigitalDiscounts took over a month to fill my order even after they had charged my card.

µ
µ
micr0

Postby fred_dot_u » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:41 pm

I've fired off a message to Growshapes.com. I'm happy to see straight-forward pricing and ordering information on their site.

I'm concerned about a twenty-five dollar shipping charge and hope they will address that question from the message I sent. If I can download the software and enter an activation key, how does one justify an additional charge?
fred_dot_u

Postby fred_dot_u » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:50 pm

I have to post a second opinion on Growshapes.com. I sent the message using the web site contact feature. I received an answer in short order, confirming that the shipping charge is an error. After a few email exchanges in even fewer hours, I had a PayPal invoice, paid it and I now have a license key.

Excellent customer service! Growshapes will be the FIRST site I visit when I need something from that genre of the computing world.

fred
fred_dot_u

Postby growshapes » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks for the kind words Fred, we strive to provide good customer service and its nice when our efforts are appreciated.

Tony from Growshapes
growshapes

Postby di.david » Wed May 06, 2015 7:46 am

I bought from growshapes david 3 software do I get the upgrade ?
di.david

Postby growshapes » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:17 am

Sorry David, only SLS-2 systems purchased on or after 1.Dec.14 are eligible for a free upgrade.
growshapes

Return to General Discussion