Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Against forum´s odyssey (all about the new DAVID-Wiki)

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

Against forum´s odyssey (all about the new DAVID-Wiki)

Postby MagWeb » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:34 am

Hello everyone!

this is a topic far of David - but of David´s user forum and the way it works.
Since I follow this forum I notice it´s getting more and more difficult to find the right information.

In my oppinion there are several reasons:
- for most of the users are newbies in 3D there is no common language / are no common terms. Therefore the forum´s search (YES! There is a very good one!) fails. The result are many unnecessary, doubled topics - Common terms wanted!
- for there are no sublevels beneath the Forum Index a manual search is a very long job - More structure wanted!
- for there is no convention of discribing the "I did it this way" many questions, "how did you do it?" are necessary(Cam? Light condition, resolution...) (Hal suggested basic infos as signature-good idea! I tried to add this signature, but it doesn´t appeare)
- users tend to go off topic - this we will not solve but it should be kept in our minds!

Such common terms and conventions are usally introduced by basic tutorials ( more than the manual) and these are missing. Davidwiki wanted! ( or something similiar). Please give us a plattform to fill. An open discussion forum isn´t usefull in this function.

Only a few users use an avatar ( this nice little picture) This is a every simple trick to combine an idea with a member visually. Please use them! (see personal profile).

Regarding the users gallery: Every *.jpg you post is added to the gallery. Even if it is a "worst case example". I think we should have a option to decide whether it´s shown in the gallery or only in the post.

And: All this only works if there is enough discipline ( also an ugly word!) and sometimes just a little patience to search the wanted info.

What do you think about it?
What ideas do you have?

Gunter
MagWeb

i agree

Postby hal » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:17 am

Good words: i'm with you.
bye
PC: DELL Alienware 17, Intel I7-4710MQ, 32 Gb Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 4GB.
SO: Win 8.1 64Bit.
CAMs: USB 3.0 CMOS B/N (1280x960, 60 fps).
LENS: 12 mm.
PROJECTOR: DAVID SLS1 ACER K11.
hal

Postby Tobias » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:07 pm

Yeah its really difficult to keep the survey.

The idea with "DAVIDwiki" is nice. then it will be easier to find how to make this or that. Its hard work to collect all the usefull posts and build a nice open tutorial page, but it will be worth it.

Im with you, too!

nice day
Tobias

Postby Bongobat » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:50 pm

Yes master... :shock: Um the gallery linking any and every picture always bothered me too. I tried to add info to the signature and it did not work either so someone should fix that also. To keep in step I added my icon :P I think the grass needs mowed in the front lawn as well :lol:
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby Simon » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:58 pm

Hi,
thank you for your suggestions!

The signature in your profile should now be visible after your posts. Please use it for meaningful information.

Yes, a DAVIDwiki is a very good idea. I hope you will help us to fill it.

It is also a good idea to provide an option to decide whether an attached jpg should be visible in the gallery or not. But this forum is a standard open source forum (phpBB) and we didn't want to spend too much time for becoming acquainted with the forums php script. Up to now we have sorted out bad images by our own (with a few weeks of delay).
Simon
DAVID Developer

Postby MagWeb » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:48 pm

Hello Simon,

thanks for the quick reaction. Signature works, and I´m hoping too, that there will be usefull information.

Regarding DAVIDwiki:
I think there are some users, that´ll try their best to make the system rolling. This might not be the end of all thruth, but a beginning to discuss and to complete. I will be there. And I think there are some other users, interested seeing you concerned with DAVID´S development, not with answering basic questions.

@all
Nice, that some allready "kept in step" and added their avatar - hope other will follow. It will make the forum more personal.

Keep on scanning

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby hal » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:04 am

Salve a tutti,

good. the signature now can help everyone. only a thing, if possible: can we reduce font size of the signature? i'don't know if this kind of forum permits.

bye
PC: DELL Alienware 17, Intel I7-4710MQ, 32 Gb Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 4GB.
SO: Win 8.1 64Bit.
CAMs: USB 3.0 CMOS B/N (1280x960, 60 fps).
LENS: 12 mm.
PROJECTOR: DAVID SLS1 ACER K11.
hal

Postby johnrpm » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:31 am

Yes I agree with what you say, I have even done an avatar, I would not normally bother with things like avatars but if it helps then I am for it, I read the forum most days and like the idea of a wiki.
johnrpm

Postby Simon » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:50 pm

Here we go! The brand-new DAVID-Wiki: http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/
Please do not hesitate to write contributions! The menu structure is still open for changes. I'm excited to read your articles!
Simon
DAVID Developer

Postby MagWeb » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:18 pm

Hello Simon

thanks for the quick work and opening the wiki, but what shall we write after your posthttp://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1085#1085?

Just a short note:
The edit buttons under the lines on wikipages are belonging to the menuepoint over the lines - little confusing.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby tera-scopy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:24 pm

DAVIDwiki is very good idea to get all the information organized.

I don't know if there are any other finnish members/readers in this forum except me, but I could translate DAVIDwiki from english to finnish.

It would be a long project, but once we get it started, piece by piece, first in english, it shouldn't be too hard for us to do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
OT babbling:

I once did finnish translation to Wings3D - an excellent open source polygon modeler (almost as good as Maya in that). It was challenging, but that project taught me a lot of translation.

Dictionary was in heavy use, but that alone isn't enough. You have to know what you are translating.

Although my english isn't perfect, technical glossary has always fascinated me.

I have used DAVID for scanning and testing quite lot, so I know at least the basics of how to get it to work, considering beginners.
tera-scopy

Postby MagWeb » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:42 am

Good morning,

as Simon said
...the current method will not be outperformed. In other words: if the object you want to scan allows using a background corner, it is (and remains) advantageous to use it.

So let´s start

Organizing wiki´s launch I suggest:
- to collect topics of interest in here
- If someone is going to write an article, please post it here
- If somebody has information, he thinks to be usefull for a writer: Use privat message (PM) (otherwise this topic here would explode)
- If a new article was published: link it here.

For those who are forced to use the dictionary as many times as I have to do: I think the first in ranking is trying to give informations, the second correct language, nice words and grammar. For there are some English native speakers, I would ask them to keep an eye at our texts. Its a wiki - nothing that can not be corrected.

Just as basis to discuss: topic-ideas (done in collaboration with hal who inspired the wiki idea):

1. Basics: Pointing out Davids detection system ( Planes, Intersection, 2D picture to 3D data...)
2. Standard way to do ( avoiding usuall mistakes)
3. How the object determines the setup (Large-minimal object, total-detail)
4. How to solve material problems ( sub surface scatering, dark material, reflective...)
5. David´s possibilities and calibration modifications ( Davidscorner, Windowsetup, Backspacescanning, calibpoints.dat)
6. Fusing the unknown territory ( smoothed or not, interpolated or not, handling multiscans...)
7.Texturing the future..
8. What to do with the results and third party software.

and... or unnecessary... or doubled? Please feed back,

Gunter

@ Simon:
I tried to use the Wiki playground to test - couldn´t do anything , its read only - something wrong?
MagWeb

Postby Simon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:42 am

If you are writing a new wiki page, feel free to insert a link to your page into the top page htttp://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki
As long as there are only few contributions, the top page can be kept well arranged. If the wiki gets larger, we can rearrange the linking structure.

I will also place a direct link to the wiki into the menu of the current DAVID homepage.

MagWeb wrote:I tried to use the Wiki playground to test - couldn´t do anything , its read only - something wrong?
Sorry, a mistake on my part. Playground can be edited now.
Simon
DAVID Developer

Postby Bongobat » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:39 am

Okay I am new to wiki and this is pretty much the first forum I have followed on a regular basis. I don't know how the rules work with using sites created by others in a wiki but as for the glossary of terms this site is an excellent start: http://www.3dscanco.com/about/3d-scanning/glossary.cfm Would be nice to copy there terms and definitions and after the definition have a link to wikipedia for a more indepth explination. Or make the whole defintion a link to wikipedia. Would this be considered plagerism? The glossary and info on their site pretty much answers most newbie questions I would think.
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby Simon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 pm

Please DO NOT COPY CONTENT of other sides, because in nearly all cases it would infringe a copyright. Whenever you find a possible copyright infringement, please contact me.
Sorry, but we must write everything with own words. But you can insert links to other sides.
Simon
DAVID Developer

Next

Return to General Discussion