Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

spinning turret point laser will permit imaging

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

spinning turret point laser will permit imaging

Postby prodoc69 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:50 pm

Hello from Texas, U.S.A. I am brand new to the DAVID and this is NOT a posting of a pretty rendering. It was born of just wanting to do anything to get some first experience, and all I had was a very thick, but motorized point laser from Sears Craftsman, used ordinarily by housing framers and such for creating level and plumb lines, as well as site surveys. It must be about a 5mm wide dot! Anyway, even with the ugly result, my intent is just so folks are aware this might adapt to a fine line generator for the rotation, and then a lead screw or other technique could feed it so the laser could progress up or down the object like a helical or perhaps toroidal path or similar. Thank you for the opportunity to own this fascinating software; I have purchased the fusion option, which I hope will be useful for my custom guitar parts, and thank you for your time and any comments.
Below is the rotating, battery driven laser tool:
Below is my silly jig for my Philips camera, the SPC900NC/27:
Below is my first ever scan, yesterday, pretty horrible, of a polymer caliper set segment, but still, even with the wrong laser, a 3 D image:
Below is rotated to show artefact and caliper thickness parameters:
This handsome gentleman was the next volunteer, borrowed from my wife!:
OK, it was late night, I had to hand-hold my camera. The line is really two, as you might be able to see the real thickness to the left, but there is obviously camera shake affecting things:
Crude, very true, but still a recognizable image, and an incentive for me to continue, since I got the software into my machine just the same day I bought the camera and tried this with my silly laser!:
I do have one question, if anyone wished to help, regarding my first ever calibration, and it is stated after the following image:
OK, the calibration sheets were imaged in the smaller size, and I made quite the little accurate fixture to house the little gems, all plumb and planes normal to each other. I listed the scale as 30mm, and the small dot center distances appear to emulate that distance well. It took me at
least a half hour to get calibration to be successful! Why? The camera was in grey scale, all the fancy stuff was off, the format was default pixels size, but I had to adjust brightness and contrast, because first it would advise me no points seen, then too many, then 2, or 6, or even worse, tantalizingly, 24 or 26!! Finally, with one particular brightness and contrast, I got it, and did all the rest of the work OK, although it only wished to show me one 3D image at a time, even if I erased, and even if I recalibrated. To get the next 3D image, I had to close the software and re-open it; I am running on XP Professional, and the software is otherwise robust in action. Anyway, thanks to you, Simon, and perhaps this series, while very amateur, might be interesting to someone for the turret use. I will post again, when my line generator arrives; I have already made a jig to attach it to my spinning turret tool, but will have to use battery power, not my power supply!
Oh, just in case someone might be curious about my screen background image, here is Sir Tucker Harry Winston Albert Einstein:
Just for a bit of a laugh for all!
prodoc69

Return to General Discussion