Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Can I use my Canon T3i or should I get something else?

Which camera works? Where can you buy an adequate laser? And more...

Can I use my Canon T3i or should I get something else?

Postby hydrazine » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:04 pm

I decided to start with David SLS for scanning some objects at work. So far they are small, about the size of an egg.

I bought the K132 projector. I already have a Canon T3i (600D) camera. I just bought an 80D to replace it, I was going to sell the T3i but since I already have it and I see the 80D is not compatible with David, I thought I could use it for scanning.

But it seems like I have to use either live view which is low resolution, or Letscan with image grabber - but letscan does not seem to be available anymore. So it means I can only use the T3i with live view?

I am wondering if I would be better selling the T3i and getting a different camera for scanning? I see people getting great results with the 1920x1080 54fps industrial camera, but $1,000 is a bit more than I want to spend now. Is there some camera in the $300 range that would be easy to use and will produce better results in than the T3i?

Thanks
hydrazine

Re: Can I use my Canon T3i or should I get something else?

Postby Curiousjeff » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:24 pm

You don't need Letscan to use image grabber. Search the forum for how to use image grabber on it's own.

Letscan does of course make it much easier.

The Canon live view is a low resolution (Canon 600D: 1056x704 pixels) , but still ok and a good place to start learning/using David (especially if you have the camera).

I have chosen a different route, after starting with Canon cameras. I now capture FullHD with a HDMI capture device using the Panasonic GH4, but this is not an option for Canon cameras except the 5D MarkIII.

Why do you say that the Canon 80D does not work with David (live view resolution is low: 960x640 pixel) ? Maybe you need to upgrade the Canon DLL ?

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Re: Can I use my Canon T3i or should I get something else?

Postby drndadoo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:26 am

Here you have short tutorial in DAVID Wiki "how to use image grabber":
http://wiki.david-3d.com/david3_user_ma ... ge_grabber
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Return to Laser and Camera Hardware