Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

New guy needs macro scanner help..

Which camera works? Where can you buy an adequate laser? And more...

New guy needs macro scanner help..

Postby Guinness » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:07 am

I tried searching for a macro webcam and got nowhere, so here I am.. I had a manual lens adjustment camera before the digital craze, so can manually adjust lenses, either by hand or thru software.. My subject matter is 1/87 scale and 1/43 scale, and I need to capture every nut and bolt on these steam engines. I watched a video on youtube on how to make a scanner for $25, but it's way out of date, being made in 2008... I know there are better hardware choices now, but am lost in all of the jargon. My budget is $200 or so, and I'd like at least part of it for software, but even that I see free or $500+.. Even my attempted searches are bringing up all useless or nothing at all. I have 5 hours of frustration with nothing to show for it, so a bit of guidance would be fantastic..

Guinness
Perfection is mankind's ability to continually improve upon what was once only dreamt of...
Guinness

Re: New guy needs macro scanner help..

Postby drndadoo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:04 pm

Structured light scanner for $200 is mission impossible. Only projector cost more, software cost more.
Cheapest what can you get is Starter Kit laser scanner which is also more expencive then $200.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby Guinness » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:55 am

No, you are wrong.. I checked the software that was used in the video I saw, and what they did will work.. If I had a laser level capable of projecting a straight, even line, I could do this with the severely outdated webcam I have and free software.. Don't be so quick to say no.. I have several ideas on how to improve upon it with common hobby items, I just need help finding low cost software for 3D scanning, even photocapture, a decent green light laser level, and a webcam capable of extreme close up pictures, or an affordable macro camera that can be used as a webcam..
If you have nothing to contribute, please find another topic for your negativity...

Guinness
Guinness

Postby Guinness » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:54 pm

I found my own answer.. "Document Webcam" is a high zoom webcam capable of enlarging text and pictures from a magazine on to a projector screen. Some of them are as low as $20, but you get what you pay for. They use a USB cable, just like a normal webcam, but I don't think they have a video mode, you'd have to ask the specific manufacturer. The $20 ones are around 2MP, but with the lenses adapted for smaller objects, they are able to really make that count. The second option is a "USB Microscope" which will give you up to 500X zoom.. These too can be bought for under $50, but contact the maker for video capabilities. I got nowhere finding a decent macro camera capable of being a webcam. If anyone out there has one that can do this, please PM or email me the make & model.

Guinness

The only thing that's impossible is what you don't attempt..
Guinness

Return to Laser and Camera Hardware