Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Tuning SLS-2 Bundle (more accurate details - coin scan)

Which camera works? Where can you buy an adequate laser? And more...

Tuning SLS-2 Bundle (more accurate details - coin scan)

Postby bartosh44 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Please tell me what should I buy to my SLS-2 bundle to get best results with smaller parts scanning (f.e. coins). I know that I need new lens for David camera and macro lens for projector. Could you recommend me any suitable products?
bartosh44

Re: Tuning SLS-2 Bundle (more accurate details - coin scan)

Postby bartosh44 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:08 pm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082739-REG/computar_hg5z2518fc_mp_3mp_hd_series_1_2.html is this good camera for that purpose or you recommend something cheaper?
bartosh44

Postby WalterMo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:35 pm

You don't need another lens for the DAVID camera to scan little things like coins.
Test the principle yourself: Don't twist the thread of your lens completely into the camera's case, maybe put a 1 or 2 Cent coin in between and you will notice that closer nearby focussing is possible.
Here you will find special C/CS-mount rings for this purpose:
http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/p ... ics/tubes/
Best you buy a set.

Regarding an additional lens for the projector have a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3471
WalterMo

Postby bartosh44 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:25 pm

Thanks. After inserting coin between lens and camera i`ve got good closeup but I`ve got another problem. Now focusing point is closer to lens. Even closer than projector can project pattern so I can`t see the pattern.
david.jpg

If I have zoom lens f.e. 20mm I may put object far from lens even with macro ring.

Please tell me where should I place camera with your inserted-coin trick (I`ve added about 2mm before lens) to see pattern (I`ve bought macro rings and that additional lens pack for projector but I can`t see pattern).

Maybe I should place camera over projector but I don`t know how it shoul look.
bartosh44

Postby WalterMo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:53 am

I don't have the SLS-2 bundle so it's difficult for me to give concrete instructions. You are right, the original DAVID setup with projector and camera mounted on a common rail cannot be used for this purpose. And the specs for SLS-2 are made for objects >= 60mm.
So what to do? I would mount the camera directly above the projector.

Or, give your idea of a zoom or tele lens a try. f should be circa 16 or 20mm. I am sure it will work. But don't buy a DC automatic iris lens which you linked to 2 days ago.

Edit: I have just made a test with my modified Logitech C600 and a cheap 16 mm CS-mount tele lens:
http://www.pollin.de/shop/t/MTE2OTA5OTk ... ktive.html

I put a 10 Cent coin between the thread. The distance from frontside of the lens to a 1€ coin as an object was 115mm. The image of the 1€ coin was format-filling (in vertical direction).

Maybe a combination of using a tele lens with extension adapter and mounting the camera above the projector is the best.
WalterMo

Postby bartosh44 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks for your info.

I`ve bought new 16mm lens. Few macro rings and lens pack for projector. I think that 16mm will be not enough for that job without modify rig.

Now I`m thinking about buying 25mm lens to have more space in front of projector.

Please tell me about rig to get camera over projector. What is demanded angle (same as usual?)?
bartosh44

Postby WalterMo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:27 am

bartosh44 wrote:Please tell me about rig to get camera over projector. What is demanded angle (same as usual?)?

Yes, as usual. The so called intersection angle should be about 30°.
Attachments
Proj&CAM2.jpg
Side view
WalterMo

Postby Fabbers » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:27 pm

Bartosh:

Were you able to add other lenses to the standard David camera? If so which specific models did you buy?
www.fabbers.ru
www.david-laserscanner.ru
www.david-laserscanner.com.ua
Fabbers

Postby bartosh44 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:06 pm

Yeah, I think that every C-mount 2/3" lens or bigger can properly work with David camera.

This is sample after test with 16mm f1.4 with one macro ring (attachment):

coin.JPG

Edit: this is 2cm coin. As you can see 16mm is not enough for my purposes. Quality is bad and noises are noticable. This is one scan without fusion.
bartosh44

Postby Fabbers » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:01 pm

Bartosh:

Could you please explain perhaps a silly question? How do we dismount the existing lens assembly on the SLS-2 camera. There are some small screws, does unscrewing release the assmebly?

Also what size (mm spacer) did you use. Perhaps, since we're equipped with a printer we can print any size we need using this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:90674/#files

Finally, where did you buy your lens (16mm f1.4).

Just to be clear...as I understand you used a spacing ring pluse the additional lens. Could you give us a link to the lens you used even if it wasn't optimal for your purposes?
www.fabbers.ru
Fabbers

Postby bartosh44 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:16 am

Twist off lens like in DSLR :) small screws are only for holding focus and aperture ring positions.

All my lenses have been bought on eBay.

I've bought cctv lenses.

I've added 5mm macro ring and 2mm coin to longer thread.
bartosh44

Postby Fabbers » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:29 pm

can you send me a link to the lenses you bought...on ebay?
www.fabbers.ru
Fabbers

Postby bartosh44 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:05 pm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546271-REG/Pentax_C22525KP_C22525KP_1_C_Mount.html Sorry It`s one of them. I can`t find 16mm.

I have problem with projector lens. I`ve added to SLS-2 projector lens x10 but it`s only good in the center of the lens (rest is twisted and I can`t fit more than one scan to one shell). I need to buy aspherical lens which I can add in front of my projector. Do you know where I can find it?
bartosh44

Return to Laser and Camera Hardware