Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

CCD Vs CMOS

Which camera works? Where can you buy an adequate laser? And more...

CCD Vs CMOS

Postby micr0 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:09 pm

I'm looking at 2 cameras for SL scanning. One is a CCD sensor the other CMOS (both global shutter). The CCD is rated at 30fps at 1280x960 while the CMOS will do 60fps at the same resolution (both are USB3.0). Is my understanding correct that a CCD camera will have lower noise than a CMOS camera? Is it also true that cameras running over 30fps are pointless in that the projector will be the speed limiter at that point?

Thanks

µ
µ
micr0

Re: CCD Vs CMOS

Postby Artisan S » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:05 am

10 to 5 years ago, yes, nowadays, no I would say....CMOS sensors have been devoleped further and further the last few years (even high quality DSLR's like the D800 use CMOS sensors these days).....while the more expensive CCD sensors have been reserved for digital medium format camera's that usually do not brag that much about noise performance. So it depends entirely on the sensor and since David packes a CMOS camera in it's SLS2 kit......(and packed a CCD camera in the past, if memory serves).

Greets, Ed.
Artisan S

Postby hal » Mon May 04, 2015 11:08 am

Hello micr0,

I have the same hardware and is working fine with David, scanniing at 60fps.
About speed of the projector, take in mind the Hz: usually they work at 60Hz with VGA connectionm and faster with HDMI (till 120Hz if I am right).
So this Hz value will give you the speed of the projection.
About CMOS vs CCD, as Ed. wrote, nowdays there are no relevant differences and for the 3D scanning CMOS are good as the CCD sensors.

Best regards,
Mattia
PC: DELL Alienware 17, Intel I7-4710MQ, 32 Gb Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 4GB.
SO: Win 8.1 64Bit.
CAMs: USB 3.0 CMOS B/N (1280x960, 60 fps).
LENS: 12 mm.
PROJECTOR: DAVID SLS1 ACER K11.
hal

Return to Laser and Camera Hardware