Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Logitech C615 with new lens

Which camera works? Where can you buy an adequate laser? And more...

Logitech C615 with new lens

Postby macdaddyjaz » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi all,

Inspired greatly by the amount of information on the topic, the recommissioning of my 3D printer and being a bit strapped for cash, I decided to make a Hi quality camera for SL scanning using the C615.

Having read through this thread "How to make a low-cost CS-Mount camera" and then C615 Teardown I bought all the bits I needed and went for it. Here is the resulting prototype model.

I have given the casing adjustable mountings so I can angle the camera in its prototype state. My ultimate goal is to create a fixed rig that I can calibrate using saved images instead of going through the setup process every time.

Once I have decided on the most useful angle/config I will create a fixed version and house it within the aluminium box section. There it will be safe from knocks that might compromise its calibration.

I had a couple of issues with the design, things that get worked out once a prototype is made. For example the CS mount ring hole was too small, I then reamed it out with a Dremel and made it too big. Nothing a bit of hot melt glue couldn't fix! I also underestimated the screw turrets so I will revise them next time around. The design will also loose the angle adjustment. Once resolved I will upload these files somewhere for download.

I must say the whole process was super easy - I did all this over the weekend while I was freelancing. I love 3d Printers!!!

Any questions please ask, but I will bow down to the true heroes of this success - WalterMo and Datapanic from the cloudynights.com forum.

Chris
-Optoma EP1690 - 1280 x 768
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
-Home made adjustable rig mounted on a telescope tripod
macdaddyjaz

Re: Logitech C615 with new lens

Postby Lunat1c » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:10 pm

-congratulations, I will do the same modification one day.
-please post results like "before and after", go scan the things you have scanned earlier for a good comparison, and we can see the difference better.

Best regards,
Mitsubishi xd 206u, logitech pro9000, acer 3820tg
Lunat1c

Postby macdaddyjaz » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Lunat1c wrote:-congratulations, I will do the same modification one day.
-please post results like "before and after", go scan the things you have scanned earlier for a good comparison, and we can see the difference better.

Best regards,

Will do! When I get some time I will get on it.

I can say that my initial reaction to the quality of the camera that it is very good!

Chris
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
macdaddyjaz

Postby gkrywusha » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:04 am

Chris,

This looks amazing. I just started sls scanning and would love to get some more info. on your process as it looks like something that would truly be beneficial. Please, when you get the chance, more info!!!

Thanks,

Greg K.
gkrywusha

Postby gkrywusha » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 am

Hey Chris, any news? Just got another c615 and looking forward to hearing your results.

Greg K.
gkrywusha

Postby WalterMo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Like macdaddyjaz above I have just modified a Logitech C615. The most difficult part was to desolder both pins of the auto focusing lens unit without to slosh around any liquid solder. Read the very useful instructions of Datapanic:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/ ... art/1/vc/1

...and here the special photo what I mean with 'difficult part':
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/ ... %20mic.jpg

To my photos:
1. The new C616 in an ABS plastic case, wall thickness 2mm. CS- or C mount lenses can be used. Latter must be used with an additional and under item 4. mentioned 5 mm extension adapter.
For the 'large' sensor of this cam a megapixel lens is recommended. And specially for SL scanning it should have a focal length of about 12mm. E.g. this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... _Lens.html

2. The camera from the back side. I have sawed a long 3 mm wide slit to enable the insert of the USB cable without to remove one of its both plugs at the cable ends. But it is absolutely necessary to cover this slit afterwards to avoid any stray light from the back. This can be done with dark adhesive tape or with the plastic part itself which was cut out. Also the blue LED on the cam board must be covered by a drop of dark paint. See the next photo.

3. A detail photo of the cam board, sensor side. The original auto focus lens is removed. You can clearly see an IR cut-off filter just in front of the sensor. Its diameter: 10mm, 1mm thick. The free and hatched marked areas can be used to fix the board on carriers. The camera board is 55mm x 21mm.

4. You can see the metallic adapter ring, stuck by a 2 component epoxy adhesive. These 5mm extension rings are cheap standard items, normally used to adapt a C mount lens to a CS mount camera.
The board will be fixed on two small plastic blocks. From the front M2 screws are holding the blocks. For fine adjustment of the cam board in x and y direction in relation to the centre to the new lens it is of advantage to drill the holes inside the plastic blocks bigger than 2 mm, best 3-4 mm and to lay a washer below the 2 mm nuts.
At the bottom of the case I have glued a 5 mm thick plastic part in which I have cut two threads, metrical 6 mm and ¼ inches.

5. Camera board mounted on the plastic blocks.

Walter

Edit (Febr 2014):
Sorry, if I haven't clearly mentioned that the original built-in IR cut-off filter cannot be used for the modification. I had bought one from Sunex Inc.:
http://www.optics-online.com/irc.asp
The item IRC 30-10R
Attachments
Cam without lens (redu).jpg
Photo 1
Cam from backside (redu).jpg
Photo 2
Board from front Marked Areas (redu).jpg
Photo 3
Inside, board removed (redu).jpg
Photo 4
Cam opened (redu).jpg
Photo 5
Seitenansicht im Schnitt2.jpg
Cutaway side view
WalterMo

Postby argo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Hello Walter,

A nice job as usual :)

At what distance you have a well focus for whole 10 cm object? (of curse with a 12mm lens)
My modified webcam is so strange! if i use a 12 mm lens, the distance for having a well focused for 10 cm object is about 70 cm away!!. which means much further away from the projector!!
So i use a 8 mm lens. but i am wondering why it is like this. i have tried different 12mm brands. even i bought a good Japanese one but can not use it.
Do you have any idea what is the reason? my guess is about it's sensor size! and by the way it is C525.

Best Regards,
Attachments
Picture 2.jpg
8mm lens, Distance=30 cm
Picture 3.jpg
12mm lens, Distance=30 cm
argo

Postby WalterMo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:16 am

Hi Argo,

At present I don't have a 12 mm lens here. But what I have are these four low-cost ones, made for maximal 1/3 inch sensors:
1. A 4 mm CS-mount lens, 1/3 “
2. A 16 mm CS-mount lens, 1/3 “
3. A CS-mount zoom 3.5-8 mm, 1/3 “
4. A CS-mount zoom 6-15 mm, 1/3 “
and
5. A fine Pentax C-mount lens, f = 6 mm, 1/2 “, (borrowed)

I think the problem for your lens / camera combination is a not correct distance from the lens to the sensor. There are two possibilities:
A. If the lens is a C-mount one (this is normally labeled at the cam's body) and the camera is also made (by you) as a C-mount cam then the distance must be 17.5 mm:
http://www.securityideas.com/corcsmount.html

B. If your lens is a C-mount one and the cam is made as a CS-mount one you must use a 5 mm high extension adapter. E.g. my C616 is made as a CS-mount camera. So both kinds of lenses can be used.

If the cam is a C-mount cam, then only C-mount lenses can be used, no CS-mount ones!

You asked for the distance cam to object if it is 10 cm tall. So I have adjusted my zoom lens to about f = 12 mm and measured a distance of 35 cm (lens front side to object). Using the 6 mm Pentax (of course with adapter) for the same 10 cm object, the distance is 16 cm.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby hyppyayo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:50 pm

could you upload the stl files for the camera case?
Windows 7 pc
Acer P1165 projector + Logitech C920 cam
Black & Decker Laser Line Level
hyppyayo

Postby netmares » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:03 pm

I have read the posts of Cris and Walter. They are great!. I am considering to do something similar to this, and I need to know:
1.) Do you know which are the sensor sizes of Logitech C615 (and even C525) webcams (1/4", 1/3", ...)?
2.) I tried to see the link of C615 teardown but it seems the Cloudy Nights forum does not work. As far as it is a critical process, do you know any other source to watch how to teardown the C615 (or even the C525) webcams.

Thanks in advance,
Miguel.
netmares

Postby WalterMo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:29 pm

1.) I couldn't find an official statement of the sensor of the Logitech C615, so I have measured it. Its size is about 5.5 mm x 3.2 mm. Its diagonal is about 6.3 mm. It's difficult to say if it is a 1/3“ sensor or something similar because the sensor's aspect ratio is 16:9.

In former times sensors had the TV aspect ratio of 4:3:
http://www.dpreview.com/glossary/camera ... nsor-sizes

Anyways, important is the diagonal of the sensor to choose the right lens. I have tested different lenses (see my post above, Dec 18) and all the 1/3“ ones worked fine. Of course you can use lenses which are suited for bigger sensors, e.g. 1/2“ or 2/3" ones. But not 1/4“ lenses!

2.) The sites of Cloudy Nights are converted. But if you follow Datapanic's way (and click on each photo) you will see how he had done it. The most difficult part is (in my opinion) to desolder the two pins of the focusing lens unit (photo 21). Take care that no „liquid“ solder will splash on other traces of the camera board when you remove the lens unit. Desoldering braid could be helpful.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby netmares » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks Walter for the information!.

One more little question that I would like to ask: which are the dimensions of the PCB board Logitech C615?. (I have a small case and I would like to be sure if it fits).

Miguel.
netmares

Postby WalterMo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:05 pm

Miguel,

The board is 55 mm x 21 mm. I have added the measures afterwards in my main post above (of Dec 16th).

Walter
WalterMo

Postby macdaddyjaz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:34 am

Hi all - I haven't been on the thread for ages so sorry to those that might have asked questions of me.

I had a message in my email from someone asking for the STL but there is no information about who it is from or how to respond. I see from the tread that hyppyayo asked on the thread so I will upload it tomorrow (if I can find the files :roll: ).

I can tell you that I have used the camera several times since and it is great. I have not gone for any high quality scans - mainly scans to define component hard points in an assembly. Not hugely cosmetic, more functional - if they were nicer I would post them!
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
macdaddyjaz

Postby macdaddyjaz » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi again - as requested here is my model.

To reiterate - the c-mount ring is a bit of a snug fit and some of the screw turrets were a bit weak. Apart from that, works a treat.

Chris
Attachments
Camera body.zip
(116.96 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
macdaddyjaz

Next

Return to Laser and Camera Hardware