Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

bad .obj import

If you found a bug, please post it here and we will try to eleminate it as soon as possible.

bad .obj import

Postby Danwhitton » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:39 am

Hello,
It seems that when I import a mesh from Mudbox or Maya Normals are flipped? Normals are not flipped for these objects in Maya or Mudbox.

How to resolve?

Best,

Dan
Attachments
david bad obj.jpg
Danwhitton

Re: bad .obj import

Postby WalterMo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:20 am

Hi,

Right-click on the file name and select 'Invert scan normals'.
Maybe you also have to use the button which I have marked by the red arrow.

Walter
Attachments
test.jpg
WalterMo

Postby Danwhitton » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:35 am

Walter,

Thank you for the tip on flipping normals Walter. However, the problem still persists. It seems that I need a way to reverse and propagate only half the triangles as the other are facing the camera.

I'm not sure why this is limited to a mesh coming from Mudbox. I've brought into Maya and run a cleanup looking issues and unlocked the normals. I've also reexported it from Meshlab.

I have the same issue with any mesh from Mudob though the behavior in Mudbox, Maya, and Meshlab aren't an issue.

Any Ideas?

Dad
Danwhitton

Postby Danwhitton » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:57 pm

After more testing I believe quads are unsupported in David and the mesh needs to be triangulated.
Danwhitton

Return to Bug Report