Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Crashes and black textures

If you found a bug, please post it here and we will try to eleminate it as soon as possible.

Crashes and black textures

Postby Vito » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:34 pm

Hello, I am a newbie, I have purchased DAVID SLS-2 and I am doing 3D scans of bones for my research. I am using Windows 7 x64. I am satisfied, although I have some problems that are probably due to bad calibration (in complex objects like crania it is very difficult to align all the scan, and a lot of work is required to recognize deformed areas). However the bug that I am reporting regards fusions and textures. I am fusing 30 scans of a humerus, and when the process is done (either at 500, 1000, or 2000), when I try to visualize the textures the program crashes. If I save before visualizing the textures, and then open the obj file, the program crashes again when I try to visualize the textures, or gives me all-black textures.
If I open the obj in meshlab, everything seems fine, the 3D reconstruction and textures are there. This reassures me a little bit, because those are kinda ancient bones and it would be impossible for me to go back and scan them again...
However, if I try to open the ply file, it tells me "error, unexpected eof", while the stl loads, but without textures.

What might it be? Is it a known issue? That happens in two different x64 windows7, a laptop and a desktop (both are powerful, especially the desktop which has a recent i5 and a R9 290x)

Thanks!!
Vito

Re: Crashes and black textures

Postby Vito » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:05 am

I purchased David 4 today hoping the issue was solved, but the problem persisits, and only with specific sets of scans. Others are fine, I am able to fuse and then toggle texture without crashes...
I have also tried to fuse each single scan of those sets, to see if one would make the program crash. Nope, all those single scans fuse fine...
Vito

Postby micr0 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Vito. You should send an email directly to tech support. They are pretty good at responding but don't always seem to be monitoring the forums.

µ
µ
micr0

Postby Vito » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:48 pm

micr0 wrote:Vito. You should send an email directly to tech support. They are pretty good at responding but don't always seem to be monitoring the forums.

µ

Thanks, will do :)
Vito

Postby Vito » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:32 am

micr0 wrote:Vito. You should send an email directly to tech support. They are pretty good at responding but don't always seem to be monitoring the forums.

µ

I cannot seem to find this tech support... is that an email?
Vito

Postby micr0 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:12 pm

µ
micr0

Postby Vito » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:18 pm

micr0 wrote:info@david-vision-systems.de

µ

Thanks!
Vito

Postby Jokeri » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Vito wrote:Hello, I am a newbie, I have purchased DAVID SLS-2 and I am doing 3D scans of bones for my research. I am using Windows 7 x64. I am satisfied, although I have some problems that are probably due to bad calibration (in complex objects like crania it is very difficult to align all the scan, and a lot of work is required to recognize deformed areas). However the bug that I am reporting regards fusions and textures. I am fusing 30 scans of a humerus, and when the process is done (either at 500, 1000, or 2000), when I try to visualize the textures the program crashes. If I save before visualizing the textures, and then open the obj file, the program crashes again when I try to visualize the textures, or gives me all-black textures.
If I open the obj in meshlab, everything seems fine, the 3D reconstruction and textures are there. This reassures me a little bit, because those are kinda ancient bones and it would be impossible for me to go back and scan them again...
However, if I try to open the ply file, it tells me "error, unexpected eof", while the stl loads, but without textures.

What might it be? Is it a known issue? That happens in two different x64 windows7, a laptop and a desktop (both are powerful, especially the desktop which has a recent i5 and a R9 290x)

Thanks!!

Hey Vito,

if you get solution to your problems, could you please post the solution here!
Jokeri

Postby Sven » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:07 pm

Hi,
It seems we didn't get an e-mail...
I would assume that the amount of texture data (30 scans all fused together) is too much for the 3D view. Maybe system is out of graphics memory?
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Vito » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:08 pm

Sven wrote:Hi,
It seems we didn't get an e-mail...
I would assume that the amount of texture data (30 scans all fused together) is too much for the 3D view. Maybe system is out of graphics memory?
Sven

Dear Sven,
Thanks for the answer. I could not find the time to write a proper email detailing the problem until now: I had conferences, teaching, etc. It does not seem like a system problem... I have a R9 290, which has 4GB of dedicated DDR5 memory, as well as 8 GB of system memory... I monitor the memory usage during fusion, and the system does not run out of RAM. It is probably the high number of texture to fuse that sends the program in disarray... I will try to use the command to "eliminate textures" when I have a lot of scan, and see if it goes better. In case that's the problem that's too bad for me because it adds a further variable: now I have to choose which texture to keep and which to discard... Since the bones with texture are for museal preservation, the quest for the ideal configuration (which scans to keep? which textures to keep?) might consume a lot of time... I thought David would select among the available textures the ones that are better, reaching a minimum size of textures... On the contrary, it tries to fuse all of them, right?
Vito

Return to Bug Report