Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

[HelpNeeded] Bug in the new version 3.9.0.4072 64 bits

If you found a bug, please post it here and we will try to eleminate it as soon as possible.

Re: Bug in the new version 3.9.0.4072 64 bits

Postby BobGarrish » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:02 am

Another one: David generates patterns at the resolution of your main monitor, which might not be the same as your projector. This means that it only shows part of the pattern on the projector. In my case, it only showed the cross in the center plus three squares left and right when the whole image has six squares left and right.

I fixed this by changing my main screen resolution to the same res as the projector, but it still fails to calibrate. The live view at least shows the actual camera view (instead of an almost black image) now if I take my hand away really fast right when it changes from camera to projector calibration.
BobGarrish

Postby BobGarrish » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:13 am

Is it supposed to show the setup image (and only the setup image) during calbration? I used the generate images function to make a full set of calibration images on my hard drive, and they're all different, but when I try to scroll through them in the program (by right clicking on the projector screen), it always shows the same one when I click 'next pattern' all the way to 26.
BobGarrish

Postby Bongobat » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:14 am

Hi BobGarrish,

I think I saw elsewhere that you said were using a Macbook Air? I am no expert but I know David is designed and supported for a Windows PC and maybe their is some kind of issues with that unsupported configuration. Have you tried it on a regular PC with the same camera and projector? Has it worked before on that machine?

Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby BobGarrish » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:19 am

Bongobat wrote:Hi BobGarrish,

I think I saw elsewhere that you said were using a Macbook Air? I am no expert but I know David is designed and supported for a Windows PC and maybe their is some kind of issues with that unsupported configuration. Have you tried it on a regular PC with the same camera and projector? Has it worked before on that machine?

Greg

Hi Greg,

It's running Windows 8, directly booted (not virtualization), which makes it identical to any other Windows ultrabook. It is a 'regular PC' for all intents and purposes.
BobGarrish

Postby Bongobat » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:44 am

Was thinking there may be a problem in the BIOS to open firmware translation in that kind of setup. Not sure how it handles the I/O on the hardware level. Was just a thought :oops: Sven will get to you soon though I am sure.

Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby BobGarrish » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:56 am

Bongobat wrote:Was thinking there may be a problem in the BIOS to open firmware translation in that kind of setup. Not sure how it handles the I/O on the hardware level. Was just a thought :oops: Sven will get to you soon though I am sure.

Greg

Naw, ever since they moved to Intel the only real difference between a Mac and a Dell is the logo on the back. I wanted a Haswell laptop when the Air and a couple others were the only game in town. Now I'm using this until Lenovo releases a Haswell Helix.

The weirdness with showing the big cross image during camera calibration is still there with the last version (3.8), I installed it on the hard drive. It looks like the 'live feed' on the camera freezes at whatever it was when it changes over to projector calibration. Does it work off a screenshot? Is there some way to put a pause between the two? The camera calibration finds all the points 100% of the time when I cover the projector, and fails every time when I don't, but the projector calibration always fails.
BobGarrish

Postby Sven » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:36 am

@litosaragon
Of course you can "downgrade" your USB key to 3.8. Just start the 3.8 setup and choose "Update USB". Or extract all files onto the USB key into the "DAVID3" folder, overwriting the 3.9 files. Just don't delete the license file.
http://downloads.david-3d.com/software/ ... 1.3777.exe

@BobGarrish
I did notice that the camera settings have various exposure and gain settings, which could be messing with things? I changed those all to default in case.
Yes, please use default settings!

Also noticed that sometimes the sine waves are clipped by the dashed line in the middle of the two blue ones?
That would be a coincidence, they can't "clip" there with the DAVID-CAM-3-M. With another camera, clipping there would mean that the "Brightness" setting in Camera Properties is set too low.

I can't run any other versions from the USB
You should be able to run any version from the USB, or from your HDD. DAVID runs from any folder. In any case, the license file is expected on the USB key in folder "\DAVID3". However, at this stage with these problems, the license is irrelevant.

If you have been working with DAVID with a webcam and some other projector before, it should be easy for you to work with the SLS-1. Everything is easiest with the SLS-1 camera and projector. Something must be wrong.

The bug is in showing patterns on the projector. David always shows the same pattern (pattern 1), no matter if it's in calibration or not.
This is a completely new problem, never heard of that before.
DAVID projects the "tiled" pattern only between actions, to help you set everything up. For camera calibration, it projects plain white. For projector calibration, it projects all "real" stripe patterns one by one.

David generates patterns at the resolution of your main monitor, which might not be the same as your projector. This means that it only shows part of the pattern on the projector. In my case, it only showed the cross in the center plus three squares left and right when the whole image has six squares left and right.

Something's wrong at your computer. The generated patterns depend only on the PROJECTOR resolution, not the monitor resolution. Please make sure you have set the projector as Extended Desktop in windows, not as clone! Here I have two monitors and the projector, each have different resolutions, all are set to their respective native resolution, one even is rotated 90°, no problems.
Please try to reset DAVID to "factory settings" by deleting all files in the subfolder "Settings".

...it always shows the same one when I click 'next pattern' all the way to 26.

This is related to your other problems! I have tested, "Next pattern" works fine, iterates through all patterns there are. Same patterns which "Save Pattern Sequence" exports.

MacBook

I don't know much about that. It should work fine with a real Windows on it.

Bob, you said you have worked with DAVID (other hardware) before, and it worked fine. Was that on the same machine? Which DAVID version? Can you go back to that old setup and does that still work?

@Jokeri
Please use DAVID 3.8 64bit or 3.9 32bit until we have solved this...

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby MagWeb » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:52 pm

@BobGarrish:

please give some further information about Windows on your MacBook Air (Specs? OSX version? Updated Bootcamp?). Maybe it's a GPU/chipset driver issue?

I remember some problems I had on a Leopard/Bootcamp installations some years ago concerning a second monitor. I could solve it by installing a "real" Windows driver package (in my case AMD Catalyst) from the WIN partion instead of using the GPU drivers provided by Apple's bootcamp.

Bootcamped Win7/DAVID 3.9 runs like a charm on my IMAC (OSX 10.8.5 ).
MagWeb

Postby Sven » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:55 pm

To all who have the problem that the 64-bit version of DAVID 3.9.0 does not even start:
It seems we have found the problem. However we need you to test, because the problem does not occur on any of our own computers...

Please test this version and let me know if the problem is solved or not. If not, please post the error message!
:!: http://downloads.david-3d.com/software/ ... 0.4090.zip :!:

Thank you!

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby VDX » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi Sven,

my problem seems to be the same as stated with the impossibility to install .Net 4.5 on this PC.

Viktor
Attachments
Fehlermeldung.jpg
VDX

Postby BobGarrish » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:21 pm

I haven't had time to mess with it on the laptop again, but I can confirm that the SLS-1 hardware works on my desktop computer so the bug is specific to this computer.

I'll try again with the new version, and then mess around with driver changes and whatnot to see if they make a difference. Hard to see how the code to project one pattern would work but then get stuck on that pattern, but maybe finding out what fixes it on my machine will help you fix the program.
BobGarrish

Postby Sven » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:57 am

@Viktor:
That's bad. Without .NET 4.5, DAVID 64-bit will not run. You will have to use DAVID 32-bit.

@Bob:
Please try: Can you change the "Projector Brightness" setting (top of DAVID window), it should immediately make the any projected patterns darker/brighter?
Can you change "Screen ID" so that the pattern is shown on your monitor? Can you then change Projector Brightness, and "scan" or "calibrate" with the whole pattern sequence? (You may have to make the DAVID window smaller or move it to the projector, so you can see the patterns.)

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Previous

Return to Bug Report