Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

[Solved] Autostop

If you found a bug, please post it here and we will try to eleminate it as soon as possible.

[Solved] Autostop

Postby Bongobat » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Haven't been scanning in a while and just downloaded 3.8.1. Wanted to use my old automated laser setup with planes but something is different maybe? Why does the auto stop only works for planeless repetition scans now? I was able to automate a regular (with background planes) scan before. I can not see how to do an automated scan using planes in this version, that seems odd. It also looks like the auto stop uses a set recorded distance, I presume the recorded laser motion and that is why it probably only works in repetition? In some previous versions it stopped when no laser light was detected signaling the end of a scan when using the 90 degree corner. Am I wrong or is the old autostop gone? If it is gone can we please bring it back it seems necessary to do automated scanning with a setup that is using a corner on every scan. I can't see why this would be removed so I am thinking it is a bug maybe.

EDIT:
Also noticed that the "manual movement" buttons are only in the planeless scanning setup but wouldn't they be also useful for regular scanning to quickly set the start there too?

Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Re: Autostop

Postby WalterMo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:56 am

Hello Greg,

Good to hear from you!
My last laser scan was made more than (I think) one year ago. So I am not up to date what parts of the DAVID software regarding motor scanning were changed/modified in the meantime.
Since Sven and me designed a controller for planeless scanning and DAVID 3 came up all automatic motor scanning functions in the DAVID software were geared to this device:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2421
Sven has such hardware in his office and I am sure he had tested DAVID updates therewith.

But today I have built-up a simple set-up and tested laser scanning with my ARDU 3 controller and with the last DAVID version 3.8.1.

First test was made with background planes. I set the COM port address for the Arduino and chose 'Motor Scanning'. Here I set a hook to 'Record New Motion' and chose a suitable 'Motor Speed'. After 'Start' the scan began and didn't stop automatically when the laser line left the camera image. OK, I had to do it. But after my hand-stop the laser returned to its start position and I could save this scan. If you choose each time 'Record New Motion' DAVID doesn't go to planeless scanning.

Second test without planes. 'Record new Motion', scan of the empty corner, removed the corner, placed the object in scene and started the (repetition) scan. All worked fine.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby Sven » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi Greg,
Welcome back!

Sorry, the AutoStop you mean does not exist in DAVID3. It seems nobody has been using/missing it. We only have an AutoStop that stops for Repetition scans, when the Reference range has been left.
The idea is to record a new motion manually, then use "planeless scanning".

For automation, please send Stop command via COM.

You can also use DAVID 2.x, there it should work as ever!

Also noticed that the "manual movement" buttons are only in the planeless scanning setup but wouldn't they be also useful for regular scanning to quickly set the start there too?

I think you should use the "Motorized Laser Setup" type, then you have those buttons. You can use "Motorized" with or without background planes.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Bongobat » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi Walter, Sven,

WalterMo wrote:If you choose each time 'Record New Motion' DAVID doesn't go to planeless scanning.

Yes, I discovered this workaround as well but it does not allow me to automate a scan with my turntable. I use to be able to tell my controller to make 8 or so scans by sending the correct string from the start message and walk away from the scanner until all 8 were done and waiting for me.

Sven wrote:For automation, please send Stop command via COM.

But my controller can not know the end of the scan as good as David can, it could only know a set amount steps or time. Using the old way it was more efficient and less prone to errors. It just worked nicely for me and I am a bit disappointing to find it missing.

Sven wrote:I think you should use the "Motorized Laser Setup" type, then you have those buttons. You can use "Motorized" with or without background planes.

Again though I would have to choose the "Record New Motion" here and not be able to automate and use those unless I switched back and forth. The buttons are not so much of a concern though because I have buttons on my own software for quickly setting the position but I have to go to the hardware setup in David close the comport, open it on my software and move the laser then close it in my software and open it in David then go to scanning.

Okay so the old autostop was not being used much but was it completely necessary to remove it? Was it interfering with another feature? That seems unlikely to me. Of course the code had already been written and was working in older versions and was most likely very efficient and small.

David started out proud of being the affordable laser scanning system. David can do simple and cheap hand laser scanning all the way to the most expensive structured light scanning and all sorts of setups and affordability inbetween now. For example I recently found a very cheap source of stepper motors and am using new and cheaper microcontrollers and stepper drivers allowing me to make my motorized laser scanner hardware for less than $50.00 USD. Now if the dog eats it gets stolen by pirates I can just replicate another no sweat : ). Compared to the latest expensive motorized scanner from Makerbot. My cheap setup seems to blow that out of the water in terms of quality and afordabitly and all this thanks to David's flexibility and features. I was hoping when trying out the new version after my hiatus I would only see improvements not things removed.

I remember when Davidians making their own custom setups was a feature of the David Laserscanner system. Now it seems people either use the Katie sketch or SLS systems. Walter's Katie system is nice and a generous contribution to the community but is there no room for others? I am just a bit disappointed that one small accommodation for one of the others systems that still seems useful was removed. Surely in the future it might come in handy on someone else's rig and not just mine. Perhaps Katie might find a place for this if someone was to modify it. Have we have decided the future of David's compatibility with other systems should get narrower and narrower and not broader? Perhaps one Day even Hand scanning with a laser will be removed because it is deemed antiquated and no one uses it? I hope not as I think that would be a big mistake. Remember affordability is and will always be a key to David's success. Anyway maybe I am a bit nostalgic, maybe I should just drop all my equipment that has worked well and made such nice scans and go get the recommended projectors and cameras and be happy. I understand it is your choice and your software I just wanted to share my views and try to persuade you to change your mind. David is still a great piece of software and I thank you for taking time to hear me out.

Greg
Bongobat

Postby Sven » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:56 pm

I have looked into the code, and thought about AutoStop. Actually it's not a big problem, and I see that it may be useful even for hand scanning in some cases. Definitely for motor scanning.
I have implemented it, see upcoming DAVID 3.9! Advanced Settings -> Laserscanning -> "AutoStopTimeout"

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Bongobat » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:12 pm

That is great news Sven. Thanks so much!
Bongobat

Return to Bug Report