Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Deferred alignment & scanning candles

You can post your wishes for new features in future program versions here.

Deferred alignment & scanning candles

Postby Frooxius » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:47 am

Hello!

I have been scanning various objects with the SLS3 and DAVID5 and I really love the way the software is designed (simple, straightforward, fast but also powerful) and the amount of geometric detail it allows me to capture. However I've found a few things that I would like to see in the software to help with the flexibility:

:arrow: Deferred alignment when using the automatic turntable. I'd like to do a series of scans (multiple batches with repositioning of the scanner) as quickly as possible, only capturing the data and performing the automatic alignment after all the scanning is done. The extra time delay caused by the immediate alignment is a bit of an issue when I scan plants, because they slowly move over time, so the multiple scans don't fully match up.

I suppose it would be sufficient to have option to disable the alignment during scanning and add multi-alignment option for aligning a list of consequent scans, instead of having to manually select two neighboring scans (which is what I sometimes have to do manually anyway after I mess up the alignment).

:arrow: This one is a bit of a long stretch, but I would like to have some scanning mode for scanning candles (or generally vax objects). I found those to be really challenging, since they have strong subsurface scattering, so the light from the white stripes tends to strongly bleed over to the dark ones, greatly decreasing contrast.

I'm not sure what would exactly help (I cannot coat them with paint or otherwise alter the candles themselves), I assume the software tries to stretch the contrast internally already. I was wondering if using fewer stripes (or maybe just one, simulating laser sort of) and moving them across the surface (thus costing more time) would help, since the candle wouldn't be so saturated with light. If you have any ideas that would help to tackle the challenging surfaces like that, it would be great! I'll try to use a laser scanner on them when it arrives.
Frooxius

Return to Feature Wish List