Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

transform tool

You can post your wishes for new features in future program versions here.

transform tool

Postby TheChosenOne » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:45 pm

I sometimes lack the scale tool. And really need FFD Box 4x4x4 for getting rid of distortions of the scans.
TheChosenOne

Re: transform tool

Postby Bongobat » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:23 am

Hi TheChosenOne,

I second the scale tool but a specialty tool from max like FFD is probably too tall of an order, as I think David is focusing on simple mesh cleanup tools not editing, Distortions in your scans should be eliminated or minimized by using a better camera and projector or changing lens, a more accurately constructed corner and or more care taken during the camera and projector calibration stage, such as filling the frame with as many calibration dots as possible. Basically if alignment is failing something is wrong in your setup somewhere and should be addressed first. Fixing it in post should be a last resort.

If you post a picture of these distortions someone on the forum might be able to pinpoint the culprit.

Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby TheChosenOne » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Advise several camera models are better than Logitech C910.
Somewhere I saw a thread in the forum about the same discrepancies scans, so only the person had an expensive camera.
But I agree that it is better to think about the quality of the scan than on crutches.
And scale tool should be 1d and 3d in screen coordinates and specified by three points.
TheChosenOne

Postby TheChosenOne » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:25 pm

What about assistance a coding or developing plug-ins?
TheChosenOne

Postby Bongobat » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:36 pm

TheChosenOne wrote:Advise several camera models are better than Logitech C910.
Somewhere I saw a thread in the forum about the same discrepancies scans, so only the person had an expensive camera.
But I agree that it is better to think about the quality of the scan than on crutches.
And scale tool should be 1d and 3d in screen coordinates and specified by three points.

I did not mean to say that only expensive cameras and lenses can work, but that they calibrate more precisely. I think it is not disputed that the optics of the industrial cameras like https://ssl.david-vision-systems.de/sho ... acki07jkm0 are more precise than a consumer webcam like the C910. But you can get acceptable results with either, for example I have had great success with a cheap Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000 but because of the imperfect and wider angle of the stock lens it does slightly bend the scans if I am not careful during calibration. I must fill the camera with as many of the calibration points as possibly to reduced this error to a manageable level or I get alignment problems, However small the error becomes though it does not ever disappear completely.

Modifications can also improve results. I once modified the HD-500 by adding a CS mount telephoto lens and it did indeed lessen the amount of errors and was more forgiving to loose calibration techniques. However Lately I really want to show what David can do with stock equipment so my scans are with an unmodified camera as I have found with proper technique it's level of error is quite acceptable. I do think the stock C910 should perform much like mine if not better and it should not be deforming you scans too much. The problem is probably somewhere else. Posting more info on your setup and technique and some pictures might help us pinpoint the problem better though.

TheChosenOne wrote:What about assistance a coding or developing plug-ins?

I believe a while back the developers were talking about supporting plugins but I haven't heard anything about that since. The main focus now is on the SDK, so essential David's main scanning engine could be written as a plugin for other programs I suppose. Imagine taking a full rich editor like the open source Blender and incorporating David's scanning functions inside. Not sure how licensing work work with that scenario though...

Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby TheChosenOne » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:23 am

TheChosenOne

Return to Feature Wish List