Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Non-rigid alignment

You can post your wishes for new features in future program versions here.

Non-rigid alignment

Postby Godehardt » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:53 am

Generally, I like the DAVID software. However, there are always points which can be improved. Here is one: There are many reasons that scans cannot be aligned perfectly which are Independent of DAVID. For example, the angle in the calibration board cannot be given or calculated perfectly. This will result in (very small) mismatchings when aligning the scans. This holds especially when I scan very small objects like a part of a human tooth. Then ShapeFusion most probably will give not only one surface but small additional volumes as artefacts which can be easily removed if they are detected. This is especially not the case if these artefacts are hidden inside the volume of the main scan, and even worse if they are lying inside and are connected to the main result by a"bridge"; then you cannot remove them with DAVID tools. This problem can be bypassed by non-rigid alignment as it can be performed, e.g. in Studio 9 by Artec. The procedure is to bend all the scans a Little bit so that they fit together much better. I know that this procedure gives results which are not 100% like the original object, but on the other side, if the alignment of the original scans is not directly perfect, the result of ShapeFusion is also not 100% like the original.
For me, the possibility of non-rigid alignment would be a big improvement for DAVID. This also would make scanning of human faces more easy since small movements in the face could be compensated by non-rigid alignment.
Best regards, Erhard
Erhard Godehardt
Godehardt

Re: Non-rigid alignment

Postby Alyx » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:40 pm

that's why I use rapidform deviation color map, I can see where scan has too big error or fits perfectly.
Acer i7 3610qm GF GT650M 2gb 16gb ram
Alyx

Re: Non-rigid alignment

Postby TheChosenOne » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:32 pm

+
TheChosenOne

Return to Feature Wish List