Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Pushing buttons.....

You can post your wishes for new features in future program versions here.

Pushing buttons.....

Postby travandcon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:37 pm

This is a bit complicated I suppose but it is something that needs to be addressed.

One of the worst things about David is the amount of button pushes that are required. I'll start with this;

Firstly, you take 8 scans of an object.
You import the scans into shape fusion.
They are on top of each other in layers.
At the bottom of each scan is some noise that you need to remove.
You use the cleaning tool to clean the noise on all 8 scans.
Now you want to save your clean scans.
You highlight all of the scans in the Right hand side window and choose the 'Save' icon.

After this you have to wait and press Enter 16 times (!!!!) before the action is complete.
What the hell is that about? Am I a rat in a lab or something?

Secondly, every time I want to save a scan called, "My Big Hat" I get a popup that says "This filename contains characters (eg white spaces) that may prevent other applications from importing the texture....etc..etc..etc...". Every time. Every. Single. Time.
It is extremely annoying and slows down the process considerably. Why not just do it once? Why do I have to agree every time I save something? Why not just do it automatically?

Finally, I want to align two scans.
I use any method and get a good alignment.
I then move to the Right hand window to select and combine the scans.
When I click on the box to select..... the process of alignment begins again......
Once the 2 alignment points are in place and the process has run, couldnt the alignment option be turned off? Why remain in alignment mode?

These are surely minor changes - tweaks - but they would make David so much more useable.
travandcon

Re: Pushing buttons.....

Postby Bobby » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:09 am

You can already save scans the way you want by using the right-most save button that has tooltip "Fast save scans..." Pick the folder and it will save them out all at once. You can also use the 'lab rat' option just to the left of the right most button if you wish. See? - DAVID gives you options! :lol:

It is poor practice (since early days of computer and even now) to save files with spaces, reserved characters (!@#$%^&*) etc, dots, commas etc. Instead of "My Big Hat" lose spaces and name "MyBigHat". Only newer versions of MS Windows would let you name a file the way you did. Even Win2000 and older would give error. Programmers have to keep adding more lines of code to 'out think' users. It is not an easy job and as they would say, If you make it idiot proof, then they will build a better idiot :mrgreen: So...I am NOT calling you any names, just pointing out that it is an unspoken 'no-no' to name files this way. Also, considering programmer - it is not possible to trap every error during testing. You get error over and over because program is doing a 'loop' iteration. I bet money programmers did not plan it to cause you pain! :D

I wish that alignment modes were shown as depressed/toggled buttons instead of dropdown list myself. You must take care that you leave dropdown on 'Free' before you click check boxes on right side list. I know...this one bites me too sometimes :?
Bobby

Postby Sven » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi,

SAVING / MTL FILENAMES
Bobby is right, spaces in file names have not always been allowed, and still can cause problems. However of course we can't expect anyone to know that, especially since in most cases there are no problems with spaces and special characters. We (developers) are trying to allow white spaces and special characters for the user as much as possible.

But MTL files (used for texture info) do not support white spaces, so we have to rename. DAVID replaces with "_".
Same for non-ascii characters like ä,ö,ü,é, ì, ...

Please use the "Fast scan" button to save several scans quickly. But be careful, it will ask for the target folder, then overwrite existing files without asking for confirmation. You could create subfolders like "original_scans", "cleaned", "aligned".

Question remains, what happens when you use "Fast scan" and there are white spaces in the file names?
DAVID will not ask, and keep the white spaces. This means many other programs won't be able to import the files with texture (e.g. Meshlab).
I have fixed that for the next version. DAVID will not ask, but rename automatically.

So basically, although the reason may not be clear to users, I recommend to avoid white spaces and other special characters in file names. Historic reasons.

ALIGNMENT
The standard procedure is that you align more and more scans directly after each other, that is why DAVID remains in Alignment mode. If it deactivated after each alignment, users would complain why they had to activate it again and again...
And in many cases it is useful that you can select scans for alignment in the list.
When you are done aligning and want to do something else, you must deactivate Alignment. The red color in the alignment buttons shows that alignment is active. Also (in 3D view) the mouse pointer indicates that.

So it seems you combine scans a lot? Do you always combine something after each alignment? Why?
Combining scans into groups has a big influence on subsequent Alignment steps. You should do it only when necessary to help aligning, e.g. combine A and B before aligning C only when C has overlapping surfaces with BOTH A AND B.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:01 pm

Bobby wrote:I wish that alignment modes were shown as depressed/toggled buttons instead of dropdown list myself. You must take care that you leave dropdown on 'Free' before you click check boxes on right side list. I know...this one bites me too sometimes :?

I don't understand. Why do you have to leave dropdown on 'Free'?

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:36 pm

The mouse pointer also shows what you are doing, e.g. during alignment it shows a small "A" or "B" so you know what to select. In the next version, DAVID will also show these special mouse pointers on the List of Scans, so you know what will happen when you click.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Return to Feature Wish List