Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Define filename and automatically increment

You can post your wishes for new features in future program versions here.

Define filename and automatically increment

Postby Scanle » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:56 am

Hi,

I would be very useful when it is possible to define the file name and increment it automatically in the SL scanning.
I scan big parts (between 1,0 and 1,5 meter) divided in several sections and have around 60 scans of one object.
Therefore this functionality would be very helpful, maybe with check box to de- /activate this feature.

Greetings
Tilo
Scanle

Re: Define filename and automatically increment

Postby travandcon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Scanle wrote:Hi,

I would be very useful when it is possible to define the file name and increment it automatically in the SL scanning.
I scan big parts (between 1,0 and 1,5 meter) divided in several sections and have around 60 scans of one object.
Therefore this functionality would be very helpful, maybe with check box to de- /activate this feature.

Greetings
Tilo

Yes the option to autoname "House %num%" where %num% increments with each scan would be good.

My own scans are labelled - Red_shoe - X60 - b255 - A0 - M1 - Q0.2 6pm
and Red_shoe - X60 - b255 - A0 - M1 - Q0.2 9pm
Red_shoe - X60 - b255 - A0 - M1 - Q0.2 10pm

where :
Red_shoe = name of file/project

- X60 = exposure settings (software)

- b255 brightness settings (software)

- A0 = average smoothing = 0

- M1 = Median Smoothing = 1

- Q 0.2 = Quality Check = 0.2

6pm = position of object on turntable. 6pm = south (facing camera). 12pm = north (back to camera)
travandcon

Postby Sven » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:59 pm

Thank you for your suggestions.
Such a function would be nice for some users, but a really flexible solution can easily be confusing for some.

I suggest to work with sub-folders! Create a folder for each scanning project, e.g. "Red_shoe" or "Red Shoe - X60 - b255 - A0 - M1 - Q0.2", with sub-folders like "original_scans", "aligned_scans", maybe "cleaned_scans", etc...
The FastSave function in Shapefusion is also comfortable for using such sub-folders.

We are working on a better support for turntables. With that, DAVID should be able to include the rotation angle in each scan's name.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby travandcon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:35 am

I needed this function so I decided to put it into my arduino code.
Code: Select all

#include <Stepper.h>

// declare the string names you want to use
String filePath, fileName, extension, stringThree;

void setup() {
  // initialize the serial port:
  Serial.begin(9600);

fileName = String("myItem");
  filePath = String("C:\\scanfolder\\");
  extension = String(".obj");
  stringThree = String ();
  }
void loop ()
{
if(Serial.available()>0)
    incomingByte = Serial.read();

while (incomingByte =='T')
  {  save ();}
}

void save ()
{
  int i = 0;
  for (i = 1; i > -1; i = i + 1);
      delay(50);

stringThree = filePath + fileName + i + extension;

Serial.println("Z " + stringThree);
}

This code segment will name your file MyItem1.obj, MyItem2.obj etc.. and send that info from the Arduino to David giving the Save command and filepath (h/t WalterMo).

If David allowed us to enter a 'Project name' for a group of scans this could be send by serial to Arduino and entered as a variable rather than a fixed value.
Here if you want to change the filename you have to change the Arduino code manually.

Enjoy.
travandcon

Return to Feature Wish List