Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

saving- reloading of camera calibration might be helpful

You can post your wishes for new features in future program versions here.

saving- reloading of camera calibration might be helpful

Postby archi4u » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:38 pm

I tested a lot with scanning different models.

It might be useful to save and reload different camera calibrations, because then you can save different scans of the same object at the same position in the scene.

Fitting the scans together in 3D should be easy this way, because of the exact position of the model.

Am I right?

I gave it try by scanning first from a position with automatic calibration and then by calibrating manually the second position (automatic calibration would not work because of the object that is placed in the scene). The manual calibration is difficult, because some points are hidden by the model.

Saving a copy of the xml- setup file should work - changing the file by renaming should work too - I just didn't gave it try yet.

With a save and reload option it would be easier. :idea:
archi4u

Postby Sven » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:51 pm

You are right, having several copies of the config.xml will work!
(Or: several copies of the whole DAVID directory)

But you will have to put the camera exactly at the same location where you calibrated... how do you do that? Do you have several cameras?

> Fitting the scans together in 3D should be easy this way, because of the exact position of the model.

Yes, but it will not be possible to get an all-around-360°-scan.

As soon as our automatic stitching is ready, this will not be a problem anymore... :-) so I think save and load for calibration is not really worth the effort at this moment.
But thanks for your feedback anyway!
Sven
DAVID Developer

Re: saving- reloading of camera calibration might be helpful

Postby Ramone » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:52 pm

Saving camera and SL calibration data is important simply to recover setup work after software crash.
I can reload list of scans and continue scanning, but without calibration data (with calibration panels removed) it takes time to restart from square one.

Regards
Ramone
Ramone

Postby Austin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 am

Ramone wrote:Saving camera and SL calibration data is important simply to recover setup work after software crash.
I can reload list of scans and continue scanning, but without calibration data (with calibration panels removed) it takes time to restart from square one.

Regards
Ramone

Yep, if DAVID can save the SL calibration data that would be nice!
If I change my computer and can load the config file, it will take less time to do the SL calibration(because this step takes a long time)
Wish DAVID can add the SL calibration data saving option.
Regards
Austin
Lenovo T420:intel i7-2640M,4GB RAM;Acer K11;Imaging Source DMK 23G445,DMx 41BUC02+Pentax H614M,Pentax C2514-M
Austin

Postby Sven » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:23 am

Will be in 3.6. :D
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Return to Feature Wish List