Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Spacemouse support?

You can post your wishes for new features in future program versions here.

Spacemouse support?

Postby vw_bus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:13 am

I am not sure whether I should be making suggestions, as I am only a beginner. However, I think the ability to use the 3D Connexion (part of Logitech) range of Spaceball / Spacemouse / Spacenavigator 3D mouse products could make coarse aligning of the different scans, and manipulating the model on the screen very much easier.
They allow you to manipulate a 3D model in space as if you are holding it in your hand, with instant access to all six degrees of freedom. I have a background in CAD, and they are definitely the kind of thing which you never want to be without when working in 3D once you are used to using them. They become second nature to use, to the point that you often move the model in space while simultaneously selecting menu options, etc with the conventional mouse. They are quite expensive new, but used ones can usually be found cheap on eBay.
I spent about an hour aligning 9 scans in shape fusion. I think if a spacemouse could be used to move scan A into alignment with scan B to do the coarse alignment, all 9 scans could coarse aligned manually in a couple of minutes, possibly accurately enough so that a global alignment would then be all that is needed afterwards. I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to make the drivers 'talk to' David Laserscanner, but I think this could be a big time saver.
vw_bus

Re: Spacemouse support?

Postby Sven » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:45 am

Yes, thanks, you are right. This is already on our to-do-list, please be patient...
Spacemouses are great! I know them from manually controlling 6-dof robots. Would be hard without them.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby vw_bus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:00 pm

That's great. It will speed up aligning scans enormously, maybe to the point that you can go straight to fine alignment.
vw_bus

Postby Martinusa » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi Sven,

Any news on the integration of a 3Dconnexion navigator (like spacemouse or spacenavigator)?
I tried one the other day but it was not recognized....
It will prevent a serious RSI/CANS attack :) since e.g. on alignment there are a lot of navigation mouse moves and ~clicks involved.

Thanks in advance
Martijn
PC: Futjitsu S-book on Intel i5; 8Gb RAM, Win7 64b ; SW: David 3 ; HW: SLS2 kit: Acer K132 and David 3.1 M camera
Martinusa

Postby Sven » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi Martin,
Sorry, we don't have time for that in the near future... :(
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Martinusa » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:53 pm

HI Sven,

That's too bad: it would really be an add on your already excellent software!
What keeps you so busy? 8) Or is that on a different thread?
THanks for the clear answer anyway,
Regards,
Martijn
PC: Futjitsu S-book on Intel i5; 8Gb RAM, Win7 64b ; SW: David 3 ; HW: SLS2 kit: Acer K132 and David 3.1 M camera
Martinusa

Postby VDX » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:41 pm

... I have an space-orb adapter, which 'interfaces' the older spacemouses and navigators (have some of them) as 'normal' windows mose, or joystick or something else :wink:

Here a link to the forum around the space-orb: http://www.jaycrowe.com/phpbb3/index.php

Viktor
VDX

Return to Feature Wish List