Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

handle interlaced video?

You can post your wishes for new features in future program versions here.

handle interlaced video?

Postby jbeale » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:04 am

I do video production so I have several good quality video cameras, but they are in interlaced format (nominal 29.97 fps but really 59.94 fields per second). Could the software have a "interlaced" option, so it uses the two video fields separately? That should give a resolution advantage (in theory) over a combined frame whenever the laser is not perfectly stationary. I don't know how much advantage it is in practice, but I think the software change would be relatively quick.

FYI: Other things being equal, an interlaced 60 fields-per-second camera has lower noise than progressive-scan 60 frames-per-sec camera, because in the first case, each field scanline is formed by two rows of sensor pixels binned together.

For example, if an interlaced-readout sensor has 480 rows, the even field uses row 1+2, then 3+4, etc. The odd field uses 2+3, 4+5 etc. Since each image pixel output is the sum of two sensor pixels input, the random noise is reduced by sqrt(2) as compared with a progressive-scan sensor of the same size and resolution.
jbeale

Return to Feature Wish List