[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Method to scan large fixed objects or flat surfaces?
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Method to scan large fixed objects or flat surfaces?

You can post your wishes for new features in future program versions here.

Method to scan large fixed objects or flat surfaces?

Postby StuartI » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:56 pm

Attachments
Flat surface scan.TIF
Sketch of cross section layout
StuartI

good idea

Postby hal » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:32 pm

hal

Postby Simon » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:19 am

Simon
DAVID Developer

Postby WalterMo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:48 am

Attachments
CalCorner.JPG
Moveable Calibration Corner Set-Up
WalterMo

Postby Sven » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:51 am

Hello Walter,

Great idea! I think it would work!
We are curious about photos and test reports. :wink:

The space between scan object and (virtual) wall must be at least 20% of the calib.point scale length.

Bye
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby toni » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Good idea, in fact, if structure is so well constructed you could preform only one callibration (even the process is quite simple!) because angle and distance from laser, cam and walls will be always the same.

What I'm not sure is that panels could distorb or not subject's reactions (ie animals), so I want to test the scan using floor and wall (white painted), I think should work too.

Let's test and post results
toni

Postby WalterMo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:13 pm

Attachments
KLapp-Kal-Ecke.jpg
Calibration corner with attached camera and flaps
REIFEN5.JPG
Scan of the tread of a car tyre, 1 x interpolated and not smoothed
Last edited by WalterMo on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WalterMo

Postby Simon » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:51 pm

Simon
DAVID Developer

MinusCorner seems to work

Postby MagWeb » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:47 pm

Attachments
Minuscorner.jpg
Minuscorner
MagWeb

Re: MinusCorner seems to work

Postby Sven » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:32 am

Sven
DAVID Developer

Endless Scanning

Postby MagWeb » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:16 pm

Attachments
Endless vertikal.jpg
Endless.jpg
Inside Edge.jpg
MagWeb

Postby MagWeb » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:52 pm

MagWeb

Postby Sven » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Hello Gunter,

first of all, thanks a lot for your interesting ideas and experiments!

I took another look into the source code. In addition to the 20% background plane check, there is a filter that ignores all 3d points that are behind those planes. I had forgotten about it... It it useful against some outliers that may appear e.g. when there are reflections. Maybe in a future version this can be switched off.
I have attached a version without that filter, please put it in your DAVID folder and give it a try! (The 20%-filter is still there.)

What you can also try with the usual DAVID-LaserScanner.exe is:
Put up the calibration pattern rotated by 180° OR rotate the camera by 180° (so that the double point is top left). Then recalibrate and scan. Now you should be able to scan ONLY behind the planes. Unfortunately the resulting 3d data will be at wrong position, and they may be mirrored...

There is another practical problem: You will not be able to scan too far into "endless space" because you need the laser line on the object and on the planes at the same time, without the intersection angle getting too small!
Attachments
DAVID-Laserscanner_beyond.zip
Version 1.4b, filter of points beyond background deactivated
(685.6 KiB) Downloaded 801 times
Sven
DAVID Developer

OuterSpace - Scan works

Postby MagWeb » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:47 pm

Good evening,

Sven, thanks for the unfiltered file and the tip with the flipped calibpoints.

I tried both today and both worked.

I post the results of two testscans, to demonstrate the two ways of David looking out of his window. Both with the same setup: A simple plane surface, cutting all four spacequaters ("++","-+","--" and "+-") and a taperole lying completly in the "--"-quarter (see attachment "camview").

The first scan was done with Svens modified program-file ( posted above) that does not filter the space outside Davidscorner. You can see the blindspace of 20%ofScale very well. This version detects all the quarters (see attachment "outer space1").

The second scan follows the suggestion of Sven to flip the calibpoints using the normal version of David. David detects only the "--"-Quarter in doing this. The resulting mesh appears in 3D-View from behind and bottom/top changed. Whether it´s mirrored? - My stupid setup doesn´t tell (see attachment "outer space 3").

Removing the outerspace-filter, if it is useful against outliers, makes sence only if it is possible to reduce the blindspaces. They should not extend to the minus-area. If that´s not possible, the second setup does the job as well in a very simple way.

Sven, you´re right, the practical problem is the intersection angle of the laserlines on the left and right windowwings. A good low angle is detected late. A high angle is detected soon, but with bad results or even ignored by David, if it´s too bad. This will lead to conic blindspace in the cams center if scanning depht is to big in relation to the window. Let´s see how far we get David to see. And I reduce from "endless space" to "outer Space".

Thinking about this, I found a third possibility in theory. I suggested "MinusCorner-calibration" ( see above). Now I also turned the windowwings to negative (see attachment "Setup 3"). I got right data, but nothing yet, what you can call a scan. To often I get the message "...not in a plane". Either my windowwings are not exact enough or the edges of the wings reflect the laser in a irritating way.
The advantages of this would be: For you are nearer to the scanned space you get a better resolution of the object and the laserlines are detected earlier. Am I right?
Problem of this setting is: Using one laser, it can only be moved along the vertikal center, 45° to Davids usual planes, to get its light on both wings at the same time and you have a bad reflection angle.
A possible solution of this problem could be using two lasers, adjusted in the same (laser-)plane, one left, one right of the cam and moved simultaneously, presupposed David does not need the objects shadow to calculate the mesh. Does he?

So far for today,

Servus
Gunter
Attachments
Camview.jpg
Outer Space 1.jpg
Outer Space 3.jpg
MagWeb

Postby MagWeb » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:50 pm

I forgot one attachment

Gunter
Attachments