Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Red or Green??

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Red or Green??

Postby osmo25 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:49 pm

I have been reading through the topics and would like to know what will give better results, a red or green laser? Also I have read that the thinner the laser line the smoother your scans will be. How do you determine that before purchasing a laser? Or is it just through trial and error?
Thanks
osmo25

Postby WalterMo » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:25 pm

Hallo osmo25,
I would prefer a green laser if you plan to use a color camera, e.g. a WebCam. For a greyscale camera it's all the same.
If you take a look on the surface of the photosensitive chip of the camera you will see that 25% of the pixels are sensitive to red, 25% to blue and 50% to green. Working with David with a red laser only a quarter is directly illuminated, the remainder is interpolated from the red-sensitive pixels.
Unfurtunately the price for a green line laser is about twice the price of a red one.
Anyway it should be possible to adjust the focus to get a line as thin as possible.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby osmo25 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Thanks again for all the info. Cant wait to get started and post some results. :D
osmo25

Return to 3D Laser Scanning