Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

3D scanning with two cameras

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

3D scanning with two cameras

Postby rickrustyrail » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:21 am

OK I finally have the David 5 running with two cameras.

And was able to calibrate the camera and the projector.

Scan results not the greatest I have a screen print attached.

If you look at the screen print it almost looks like the two cameras could not fuse the images together?
Is this a problem with the cameras not aligned?

Question on the calibration of the cameras do you have to do a calibration of the one camera view then also a calibration of the other camera view?

w/o vids to watch flying in the dark

Any comments would be great

Rick
rickrustyrail

Re: 3D scanning with two cameras

Postby micr0 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:20 am

rickrustyrail wrote:OK I finally have the David 5 running with two cameras.

Scan results not the greatest I have a screen print attached.
Rick

No you don't :D

If you look at the screen print it almost looks like the two cameras could not fuse the images together?
Is this a problem with the cameras not aligned?

Rick

Are you using two of the same camera and lens?

A number of people here (myself included) have been having trouble with David 5 and alignment of scans (or distortion). I'm hoping that when Sven gets back from vacation he can further address this.
µ
micr0

Postby rickrustyrail » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:01 am

Yes same cameras and same lens

Thanks it is good to know it is not only me

I tried to reset the focus and it even got worse.
rickrustyrail

Postby drndadoo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:23 am

You have to set up both cameras, then just to click calibrate. Both cameras and projector will be calibrated.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby rickrustyrail » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks for that feedback on the calibration.

are you having problems with the scans from the two cameras not aligning after the fuse?
rickrustyrail

Postby drndadoo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:06 am

Personally I do not have that problems, but there are some users with alignment problems. Can you give us any detail? Maybe a picture or you can share some scans?
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby rickrustyrail » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi Drndadoo,

I agree the big problem I have is setting the cameras up in relation to the projector on the bar. I have been sliding the cameras until I get a good complete
picture on each camera. I tried the same measurement between cameras and projector on the bar and then had to move the left camera out more to fill
the screen on the left. I'm sure this has something to do with the problem.

I tried to attach a screen picture but I get 'Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached" What you see in the picture is that the scan image from each camera
is not being fused together. The picture shows the image on from the left camera as a more solid scan but the scan from the right camera is just fragments. What I'm finding
is that just because I get the cameras and projector calibrated and I have clear and in focus pictures in both cameras this does not mean you are going to get a good scan and fuse.
I was going to try each camera standalone to see what the scans look like.

My problem is also in the setup of the distance between the projector and the item to be scanned. Is the rule of thumb that you move the projector in and out to fill the screen
are is there a exact distance between the projector and the item to scan depending on the calibration card you are using? And like I mentioned above the distance from the projector
to the cameras and does it need to be the same distance for each camera.

I'm using the turntable and the DSL-1 lever arm which is not easy to move to any position you want. Are you using the Tripod instead? My problem with that is always kicking the tripod legs.

I attached this picture of the scan before. To get you a screen picture would I have to open a new post?
rickrustyrail

Postby drndadoo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:10 am

There is a table for the SLS-1 and DAVID3, but you can get some idea how it works:
http://wiki.david-3d.com/david3_user_ma ... ured_light
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Return to 3D Laser Scanning