Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

2.5 D scan, demo vs. full licence: how precise is it?!

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

2.5 D scan, demo vs. full licence: how precise is it?!

Postby arnaldo83 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:35 am

Hello to everyone,
I need to do "so-called" 2.5 D scan (I mean I need to scan just one side of a planar surface with a print/mold on it, not to scan all around an object), so I downloaded the demo version of David Laser Scan 4 Pro (I already have laser, webcam and calibration panels).

I made some test and I am quite happy of the quality I get, but, being the demo version, I can only see "low quality" scans and I can't save the .stl file.

So, I am asking you: how much better is the "high quality" scan I can obtain with full licence software? I need 1/0.5mm resolution with 2-20 cm objects, is it possibile?!

I saw on youtube the scan of 1 cent coin and it looks very accurate, but can I get that accuracy on quite bigger objects (as I wrote, about 20cm max)?

Forgive me for this question, but I can't spend 450€ just to try!!
Thank you very much!

Arnaldo
arnaldo83

Re: 2.5 D scan, demo vs. full licence: how precise is it?!

Postby drndadoo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:47 am

Scan quality will remain the same when you have the license, but you will be able to export it "as it is" with no loss in resolution. Right now your scan can be exported in quality that camera with approx. 320x240 resolution would gave you.
In general, precision is very dependant on the setup.
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Return to 3D Laser Scanning