Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Automate a non-structured light scan

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Automate a non-structured light scan

Postby JayTaves » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:29 am

Hi, I am trying to automate a 3D laser scan of an object. So far I can get the camera setup and calibrated automatically, but it fails when trying to scan. In reading the SDK it appears that the only command to automatically start a scan is for a structured light scan (the command is sls().scan()). Since I don't have a license, this step fails. What I can do is have the setup and calibration run automatically but I still have to press the start scan button manually from the DAVID-3D window.

Is there anyway to launch the regular 3D scan programatically or will I have to upgrade to the licensed version?
JayTaves

Re: Automate a non-structured light scan

Postby drndadoo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:20 am

Hi Jay,

you don´t need the DAVID license to scan, only limitation without license is that you can´t export the scans in high resolution.
You can take a look here at code for a simple scanner:
http://docs.david-3d.com/sdk/en/_simple ... ample.html
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Postby JayTaves » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Hello,

Sorry I misspoke, the issue is not that I don't have a license but that I don't have a projector to do a structured light scan. I only have a hand-held light scanner. I would like to automatically trigger a scan with my hand-held light scanner but it seems like the only type of scan that can be automatically triggered is a structured light scan which does not work for me.

Thanks!
JayTaves

Postby WalterMo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:37 pm

You can trigger a stepping motor driven laser scanner.
Before DAVID came up with SLS we have worked for several years here on this forum with (line) laser scanners. First with the calibration corner during scanning behind the object and later on without this corner. Latter technique is called plane-less scanning.

Have a look to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6073&p=29527&hilit=katie#p29527

and this:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2421&hilit=katie
WalterMo

Postby JayTaves » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:57 pm

I don't need a motor driven scanner, I am just using a hand-held laser. The part I want to automate is the initiation of the scan. Essentially I want to run my C++ (or other, but it seems like the C++ interface for David is the easiest) and have it go through calibration, start the scan, wait some time while I move the laser, and then save the scan all automatically. It seems that the only command to initiate a scan is david.sls().Scan() which initiates a structured laser scan.

The link you posted with the Arduino code seems similar to what I want, but I am a bit confused by how it interfaces with the David server. My understanding was that the server only responds to a particular set of commands through the C++ interface.

Thanks!
JayTaves

Return to 3D Laser Scanning