Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Free vs. Paid "low quality scan save??

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Free vs. Paid "low quality scan save??

Postby Guinness » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:38 pm

I just read the fine print for David-4 that says you can't save high quality scans.. I haven't gotten my scanner yet in the mail, so can't do a test print to see if there's enough resolution.. Can anyone out there tell me the difference between the free scan save and the paid scan save?? I'm learning, but not an expert by far, so please be as descriptive as possible.. Thank you..

Guinness

Perfection: Noun. Man's insatiable desire to improve upon everything..
Guinness

Re: Free vs. Paid "low quality scan save??

Postby WalterMo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:02 pm

With the "free version" you can do nearly everything, e.g. scan at highest resolution. But you can save single scans only at 320 x 240 pixels. And you cannot save something fused in DAVID's shapefusion.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby Guinness » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:51 am

I'm still calibrating, but looking at the next step.. Can you export the hi-res scans elsewhere? I gotta be missing something here, why would you do a hi res scan if it's going to revert to low res? I mean, you do a great scan, but it still needs smoothing.. Ideally, you own shape fusion, but if you don't, then what's next?
Guinness

Postby WalterMo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:42 pm

You can even test DAVID's Shape Fusion without a license at a high resolution:
Do a scan and push the button "Add to List". Now this scan is transfered to Shape Fusion.
Do the next scan and push "Add to List". And so on.

Smoothing and averaging can be done for each scan just after scanning.

At the end of scanning do the alignment of all your scans and fuse them.
Of course this result cannot be saved.
WalterMo

Postby Curiousjeff » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:44 pm

There really is no "free" David. It's there for evaluation purpose, before buying.

The David team is a small company that works hard to make and improve a great product and maintain this forum. They must make a living also.

You can test all the features but once you are happy that it fits your purpose, you should buy David 4.
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby Guinness » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:33 pm

Oh, I have every intention of buying, but won't have the cash till January.. and my printer doesn't arrive till this time next month, so If I am not able to save in high res until then, I need to look at other options. I understand the need to make money and am all for it.. But at the same time, buying Shapefusion is a ways off for me, so saving there may not be the answer.. If I remember correctly, it's not part of the DAVID-4 software, so if I can't pull it out of there after buying D-4, saving there won't help.. Can I add to list without using Shapefusion to keep it hi res? And what if something happens and I can't finish it, getting called away, there's no way to save your progress in high res? First my 2D printer dies, then webcam issues, I'm hoping to start an easy test scan tomorrow, or at least have everything aligned for one. In my mind, I see being prepared for a scan as not even needing Shapefusion. To me it seems like you use it to either alter the object or cover up for poor scanning.. I'm not looking to start a debate. I know my 'paper' knowledge is nowhere near real time actual scanning know how.. It's like a board game: you read the instructions before you play, but anyone who's already played has invaluable information you just can't get without playing. Take the game "Life".. If you start out on the shorter route, you miss the chance of buying insurance, or becoming a lawyer, giving you the best payday.. Getting to the finish line first doesn't always mean you win the game..
Guinness

Return to 3D Laser Scanning