Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Scanning through glass

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Scanning through glass

Postby eliscio » Sat May 30, 2015 11:36 pm

Hello Everyone,

Some time ago I recall a post about scanning through glass. I would like to do some research into how skin deforms on a flat surface and I wanted to have someone press a finger on a glass plate and then scan from the other side. Alternatively, I was thinking I could have a person stand on a thick glass plate and then scan from the underside. Has anyone tested this and how well does it work? What considerations need to be made?

Thanks,

Eugene
www.ai2-3d.com
eliscio

Re: Scanning through glass

Postby WalterMo » Sun May 31, 2015 10:28 am

Hello Eugene,

Some years ago when only laser scanning was possible with DAVID we already discussed a bit this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1012

We found that scanning through glass worked, maybe with some limitations. E.g. some people suggested to also calibrate the camera through the used glass plate.
Why should it not work with structured light? I am optimistic. We should give it a try.

Walter
WalterMo

Re: Scanning through glass

Postby eliscio » Sun May 31, 2015 1:01 pm

Thanks for the information. I was looking for this thread for some time (I even posted in it) and could not find it. It's been some time since I have last been on the forum, but I still use the structured light setup with my own hardware. Also, the university where I teach purchased the SLS-1 some time ago and they use it all the time.

So, my thoughts are to try to calibrate with the glass plate in front of the camera (while keeping the projector perpendicular to the glass plate), then move the setup so that a person can stand on the glass plate and try scanning from underneath.

OK, I have a small project to test now...

Thank you,

Eugene
www.ai2-3d.com
eliscio

Return to 3D Laser Scanning