Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Glossy surface guitar - white light scanner

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Glossy surface guitar - white light scanner

Postby orchard1956 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:35 pm

Scanning a guitar. Hardware removed. Glossy surface. Dark red back, sunburst front.

What can I expect the results to be if using SL-2.
Has anyone achieved good results without any surface coating.
I have tried Diatomaceous Earth Powder using a facial powder puff pad and then scanned with Scantech Laser with reasonable results.
But I am interest in the SL-2 and it's capabilities.

Matthew Klein
Nashville TN
PC Q6600 4Gig Ram, 256 video, Logitech Pro 9000,Green 532-5-3-F Laser.
orchard1956

Re: Glossy surface guitar - white light scanner

Postby WalterMo » Wed May 06, 2015 8:38 pm

Unfortunately every kind of visible light reflects at a glossy surface. Therefore you have to tarnish its surface. Here we have posted different kinds:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1283&hilit

Walter
WalterMo

Re: Glossy surface guitar - white light scanner

Postby Zeppelin1007 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:19 am

I scanned a purple les paul neck a few years back. Buddy wanted a copy of the neck on his custom guitar i was cutting on my CNC.

After much tinkering, using a 405nm "purple" laser and some tweaking of the camera settings worked best. Although the shiny frets still made it throw a huge fit. The back profile, that was glossy purple came out great though and copied beautifully. There was some glare, and it showed up as data that wasnt connected to the neck, so, deleting it out of david was cake.
Zeppelin1007

Return to 3D Laser Scanning