Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Motorized Laser and Camera

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Motorized Laser and Camera

Postby DoctorV » Wed May 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Dear all,
Is it possible to use David with a setup that has a camera and laser that are moving. i.e. The camera and laser are fixed to a linear platform.
If so, please give pointers on how this can be done.

Thank you!
DoctorV

Re: Motorized Laser and Camera

Postby MagWeb » Wed May 14, 2014 10:00 pm

If I got you right:
You wish to have a "fixed angle setup" where the intersection angle between cam's view and laser's plane is fixed and you move this combo in a known motion?

Sorry that's not possible in DAVID.
In theory it could work to understand each cam's frame as a separate "scan" ,pass its result to Shapefusion and apply the know transformation . The problem is that this results can only be single a line of vertices. It cann't be a triangle mesh and Shapefusion only can handle meshes.

I'm aware of the advantages this methode could give. There are lot of scannig applications that would need that feature and that's why I asked for this from time to time. (e.g. in this ancient thread:http://forum.david-3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=861&p=5047&hilit=fixed+angle+setup#p5038
For there are ways to track the device's position nowadays, I'm convinced that fixed angle scanning would be a real new birth of DAVID laserscanning (For there's no way to do this in SL)
MagWeb

Re: Motorized Laser and Camera

Postby DoctorV » Fri May 16, 2014 5:33 am

Thanks for the reply, that answers my question.

I agree with you, it should not be to complicated to expand David's capability especially if the camera/laser apparatus is motorized and its location is known.

I ended up modifying/writing a Matlab code to do this.
DoctorV

Return to 3D Laser Scanning