Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Beginners question

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Beginners question

Postby jambor.zsolt » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:49 pm

Hello i'm new in the 3d scanning world and i have a few questions.
1. can you describe a head scan protocol? where i should start? how many scans do i need?
2. different scans are stitched autometically?
4. how i add texture/hair to a head
5. how should the room be illuminated? i need something special?
6. i couldn't find any data about the resolution of a scan.
jambor.zsolt

Re: Beginners question

Postby Artisan S » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Headscan and laser, not so good idea.

2 reasons,

1) Laser + Eyes = trouble.
2) Laser + Head = movement, since laserscanning takes time (lots of it).

Scanning and hair, not so good idea.

2 reasons,

1) Convicing hair needs to be strand rendered (see Blender and the rest of pro leage modelling packages).
2) Hare shines, shine is trouble for any type of scanner.

But there are alternatives:

For the laser:

Use a structured light scanner and hope for the best, but you also need more then one scan which means problems (unless you use more scanners but even then).

For scanning hair:

Go photogrametric ( e.g. agisoft has some nice code) using several (lets say 3 to 5 for a portrait, 8 to 12 for a full head) synchronized camera's, photogrametric scanning includes hair as part of the model. Else use bathing cap (non glos please) and substite hair using a modelling program (have fun texturing and creating the complex hair-shaders).

Greets, Ed.
Artisan S

Postby WalterMo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:03 pm

1. You will need about 8 scans around the head and one from above. Have a look to our User Gallery and you will find some examples. E.g. this turn around scanner:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3415&start=15

Artisan S is right, don't try to scan a „living head" with a laser. It's possible but each scan needs a lot of time during the person must hold still. And yes, laser light could be dangerous for opened eyes. I have realized that a person can hold its eyes open without „pain“ if the light intensity is not more than 200 lumens from a projector.
Some time ago when structured light scanning was not yet possible with DAVID we had laser scanned (only) faces with closed eyes, e.g. here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=451&p=2452&hilit

2. In DAVID's Shape Fusion it's relative easy to stitch the single scans.
4. The texture will automatically be captured for each scan just after the scan. In general it's difficult to scan hair, best is to spray it white before. Or do it like Artisan S it suggested.
5. Total darkness isn't necessary, dim the room light.
6. The resolution depends on the used camera and projector.
WalterMo

Postby Artisan S » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:08 pm

Thanx Walter,

BTW, great software even compared with a much more expensive machine like a Mephisto CX Pro it stand it's ground. Firmly and convincingly. For instance much more though through texturing that CAN be edited in Blender (or any othe 3D suite) unlike the mishmash of the Mephisto. And damned your software is stable unlike others. Sorry to highjack a thread but I had to say it. Even with a handlaser and the basic setup the results are stunning.

Greets, Ed.
Artisan S

Postby jambor.zsolt » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:20 am

Thank you for the replys. I would scan the head with a projector and camera setup(SLS-2) I know how harmful a laser is to the eye. Any other ideas?
jambor.zsolt

Return to 3D Laser Scanning