Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Cost of lasers

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Cost of lasers

Postby travandcon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Can someone tell me the difference between the David shop lasers for €400 http://ssl.david-vision-systems.de/shop ... gory/Laser
and these for €20 http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... w&_sacat=0
?
travandcon

Re: Cost of lasers

Postby ShadowTail » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:04 pm

The difference is that the cheap ones are laser POINTers with fixed focus whereas the expensive ones are LINE lasers with adjustable focus.

The former project a single point whereas the latter project a line.
ShadowTail

Postby WalterMo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Travandcon,
You can give the 100mW 405nm focusable blue line one for 29.99 Pound a try. But its power is extremely high. Take care of your and other peoples eyes! Best you wear eye protecting glasses.

If you like to reduce the output power you can put a polarizer in front of the laser. By turning it you can adjust each light level. From nearly dark to about 95%.

I think its beam quality isn't as good as that of the DAVID line laser.
WalterMo

Postby travandcon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:49 pm

ShadowTail wrote:The difference is that the cheap ones are laser POINTers with fixed focus whereas the expensive ones are LINE lasers with adjustable focus.

The former project a single point whereas the latter project a line.

The cheap laser can also project a line. I dont think its focusable though.
Theres a lot of speckling too.

WalterMo wrote:Travandcon,
You can give the 100mW 405nm focusable blue line one for 29.99 Pound a try. But its power is extremely high. Take care of your and other peoples eyes! Best you wear eye protecting glasses.

If you like to reduce the output power you can put a polarizer in front of the laser. By turning it you can adjust each light level. From nearly dark to about 95%.

Dont know where that is, 100mW!!!!!!
Dont think I need one that powerful!

WalterMo wrote:I think its beam quality isn't as good as that of the DAVID line laser.

I dont know much about lasers; In what way is it 'better'?
And is it 20x 'better' like the price?
travandcon

Postby WalterMo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:30 pm

travandcon wrote:Dont know where that is, 100mW!!!!!!

If you click on your mentioned link you will find a lot of blue lasers, some project dots and others lines. I don't see one for 20 €. All prices are in pounds. The fourth, counted from top, is that one which I meant.

'Better' can mean: A more straight line, less noise, higher light level stability, more uniform light power distribution along the line, etc.

20 times 'better', who knows?? Haven't had it in my hands.
WalterMo

Return to 3D Laser Scanning