Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

I need help with panel-less setup

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

I need help with panel-less setup

Postby dennik » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:03 am

Hi everyone.

I bought one of the david laserscanner kits and I want to move into panel-less automated scanning setup cause I have a lot of things to scan, and I'm trying to make things easier for me.
I have an old servo as well as an arduino so what I'm looking for right now is a basic automated tilt setup that I can do, if possible with the hardware I've got.
The thing I noticed with the servo is that it has a minimum stepping of 1 degree which probably won't do if the scanning pass needs to be smoother. Any way to smoothly slow down a servo externally or electronically?
If anyone can point me to the right direction on how to set this whole thing up, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks
dennik

Re: I need help with panel-less setup

Postby WalterMo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:07 am

A „normal“ servo which is often used in model boats or aeroplanes is easy to control by an Arduino but its resolution is much too coarse for laser scanning.

So my advice: Tilt your laser by a stepping motor which has an attached gear. Gear ratio about 50:1......100:1. Like this one:
http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?ca ... _id=3319_1

Here you can find the controller and the Arduino code. It's well suited for plane-less scanning:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2421

Walter
WalterMo

Postby dennik » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Hey Walter. Thanks again for the help.
I will look into that setup, although it would be more advanced than anything I've done with electronics so far!
dennik

Postby WalterMo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:42 pm

An alternative is to use structured light for scanning.
It's not more expensive. The camera can be the same and a used projector can be bought at an eBay auction. Often people offer their low light power device because they are frustrated due to its low brightness when they are looking a movie. For SL it's mainly sufficient. 200 lumens is a good value up to 1m (or more).
And, SL is much faster!!!!
WalterMo

Postby dennik » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:31 pm

The only thing I was wondering about SL scanning is how accurate it is for little sub mm details. I would be picky about that.
If Laser scanning is more detailed in small scale, I'd rather stick with that. Would you say there is a difference for small scale details?
dennik

Postby VDX » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:41 pm

... with reducing lens you can go as small as you want - I've reduced the output of a Casio-DLP-beamer to a sharp image of maybe 40x30mm and can go even smaller, if needed :wink:

The laserline setup in my dental-scanner has a minimal accuracy/resoultion of maybe 20 microns - with a SL setup with comparable dimensions I'll receive something around 5 microns accuracy

With smaller dimensions you'll get problems to focus the laserline finer than 30 microns, but with the 16microns(?) wide DMD-micromirrors I'll estimate pixel dimensions in the beamed (reduced) image of around 3 microns best ... and could be even better/smaller with special opics :mrgreen:

Viktor
VDX

Postby WalterMo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:25 pm

The resolution of laser scanning isn't higher as of SL.

If you go through the User Gallery you find e.g. this site:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4491&p=23046#p23046

And here you can see the direct comparison of coin scans, made by laser and later on by SL:
viewtopic.php?p=23790#p23790
WalterMo

Return to 3D Laser Scanning