Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Thin edge scanning practices?

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Thin edge scanning practices?

Postby dennik » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:26 am

I have an object that ends up at a thin edge, I'd say 1-2mm.
For that reason I'm finding it hard to scan a proper geometry, furthermore fuse front and back together.
What would be the best way to scan such objects? Have a "dummy" object next to it and align to that?
dennik

Re: Thin edge scanning practices?

Postby hal » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:14 am

Hello,

you right. a dummy object is the best solution. You should place something like one or more little cubes or shperes (maybe done with polustyrene) on the edge. so you can see them from the two sides. this will help you a lot.

If you don't want to hide the small portions of the objects where the dummies should be placed, you can choose the second way: put the object on the floor or on a basament platform and then move near your problematic side one or two simple objects, like cubes or simple solid shapes. Scanning all around and be carefully don't moving the object and the dummies, you can have a "non ivasive" reference for the alignment.

Regards,
Mattia
hal

Re: Thin edge scanning practices?

Postby SeaBorneScanner » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:48 am

A small piece of blue-tac works great for this.
SeaBorneScanner

Return to 3D Laser Scanning