Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

some questions about motorized david 3.5

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

some questions about motorized david 3.5

Postby mauro » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:26 pm

hi davidians,
I' ve some questions about David 3.5.
I'm using David in manual mode (with background) to scan object but to move the laser (linear motion)
I'm using a cnc machine driven by Mach3.
I'd like to implement a motorized system that can automatically work.
1.how can I create a dialogue between david and mach3?
2.I think that david sends message in ASCII code by COM port, isn't it?
3.In what kind of form is saved in the reference scan david 3.5? (I don't find much material about david 3.5)
Please help me!!
Thanks for your attention
Mauro
mauro

Re: some questions about motorized david 3.5

Postby Zeppelin1007 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:22 am

Mauro,

Im decently versed with Mach3 myself.

my educated guess? I know i could write a VB script to read the COMM port on a machine, then send a pulse to Mach3...but that'd require 2 computers

i wonder if you could write VB app or since Mach3 has VBscripting, write a script that will just read serial messages and pulse mach3 accordingly?

What controller board are you using with Mach3? im assuming something parallel port driven?
Zeppelin1007

Re: some questions about motorized david 3.5

Postby modularcnc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Great idea gents. I looked into this and I think I've got a workable idea.

Mach3 and DAVID on the same machine.

Then, check out com0com;
http://com0com.sourceforge.net/
In use ports class enabled mode.

Point DAVID at one virtual com port and in mach3 go to ports and pins and enable 'event driven serial control' and restart mach3. Then go to function cfg's and start 'serial monitor' Here you want to set mach to use the other virtual com port.

Last step is to write a proper macro. I have not actually coded one up yet, but here's a link to another forum post that contains a sampling of the FIFO calls that would make an excellent head start.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index. ... 658.0;wap2

I've pretty much test everything up to the point of writing the macro, but I have little doubt this plan would not work.
modularcnc

Return to 3D Laser Scanning