Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Full size car again... pictures

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Full size car again... pictures

Postby cnc Dave » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:22 pm

Well.... I bought a big projector after some success with a pocket one, but I just gave up trying to set the big Dell up.
At the end of the day it was going to be too big and cumbersome to drag around a car in the dark. So out came the laser again...

I have no problem spraying a £20,000 car with Tempera, washing up liquid and water, a jet wash takes it all off and leaves it cleaner than you started.

I have some ping pong balls I cut in half and glued magnets to, for a previous scan. Turns out the car is alluminum, they don't stick. But to be honest the don't work too good for lining scans up, you'd be better with some big white balls on sticks around the car. David handles the scans very well after a lot of decimating. 2000,000+ triangles in each scan is just too much for any program...

Dave K
cnc Dave

Re: Full size car again... pictures

Postby macdaddyjaz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:10 pm

WOW - that is incredible quality. I have just had a go at doing a Mk1 golf (results in the SL gallery) with the SL projector setup and I was pleased - but your scan puts it to shame!

How many scans did you take and mesh?

Chris
-Optoma EP1690 - 1280 x 768
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
-Home made adjustable rig mounted on a telescope tripod
macdaddyjaz

Postby cnc Dave » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi Chris,

The bonnet was done in 4. I've taken loads over the last 3 days and cut them all about, fused some and cut them again, binned some.... about 18 probably in the final object. The above is realy decimated. I have higher res that I shall merge in eventually.

Regards Dave
cnc Dave

Postby cnc Dave » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:28 pm

I just did one half and mirrored it over.
cnc Dave

Postby cnc Dave » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Chris, I can't find your Golf, could you post a link..

Dave
cnc Dave

Postby macdaddyjaz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Its towards the bottom of the page ;)

Clicky
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
macdaddyjaz

Postby cnc Dave » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:46 am

cnc Dave

Postby macdaddyjaz » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:50 am

macdaddyjaz wrote:Its towards the bottom of the page ;)

CLICK MEEEEEE!!
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
macdaddyjaz

Postby cnc Dave » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:29 am

Hi Chris, that's really good. Success with a projector! Did you scan it for a reason? Arrr the old golf, and a soft top too. I had a girlfriend with one of those many years ago.. it had the 'big bumper' kit and looked the part. A real 'Jet setters' car in it's time. Guess it still is. made it though the 80's without a Beastie Boy pinching your VW badge :P

Did you mount your projector to the side of the camera? I haven't loooked into that. I'm that still messing with the old David. I tried David 4 with the wavey line stuff and found it took a lot of setting with projector angle/distance. Then the update came and the wavy line has gone and .... Oh, I just went back to the laser. You give me hope though and I may give the projector an other shot.

One of the problems with laser is you have to get the laser to alight on something as it comes on. This gets harder the bigger you scale things up. I guess the projector eliminates that and makes the system more flexible. I mean, if you don't care about accuracy and want to scan way beyond your calibration panel your laser is way out of camera view. .... sorry I'm talking nonsense, the projector would be off too. forget that.

Dave
cnc Dave

Postby WalterMo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:57 am

Good work Dave.
It's a perfect scan of a real car. Congrats! And two halves added are a full car. :wink:

If I understand you right, so it wasn't the problem to have too less light with the Dell 1410X DLP projector but it was the 2.4kg weight that you came back to the green laser?
I remember we were talking a bit about the possibility to use SL for car scanning some weeks ago. But you told above you will start a second trial with the projector.
So we are anxious to see your result.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby macdaddyjaz » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:03 am

I can understand why you reverted to the laser system. Your setup looks like it is very light weight.

Mine however. . . . . . . .

cnc Dave wrote:Did you mount your projector to the side of the camera?

Answered by pics.

cnc Dave wrote:Did you scan it for a reason?

Along side my design day job I do freelance work. I have been approached to do some work scanning cars, designing body kits and then making layup tooling. This was a trial to see if the structured light setup could create scans of that size without distortion. This is why I was less concerned with the surface quality.

David 3 is a vast improvement on 2 for structured light. I cannot recommend it enough!
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
macdaddyjaz

Postby cnc Dave » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:54 am

Hi Walter,

Yes, I built my rig to take a laser with a tube holding the laser about a metre above the camera. It was not a good place to mount the heavy projector. My inital trail like this did not get good results. But I only spent about half an hour with David 3.4 (sorry not 4 as I said earlier). I did the scanning with David 2.6.3, which I considered an old friend. The devil I know. I don't think the brightness of the projector was going to be a problem as the set up was perfect... completely dark and a matt white surface, but time will tell.

Having seen Chris's superb rig and his successful results I may well give David 3 and a projector another go. It sure is a lot faster than a laser.

Chris, that rig is superb, so flexible and compact, is it an 'of the shelf' item or home made? I'll need to do more reading up on this, it looks like your projector is straight at the calibration panel and the camera is at an angle to it...? I'm a bit behind the times.

You must be going to CNC these parts once you have designed them, that's what I do. I'm going to give resin infusion a go on this project for some of the production. I also injection mould the parts in polyurethane
cnc Dave

Postby macdaddyjaz » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Its all home made boss! I am fortunate enough to work with Solidworks daily and have a tame laser cutter. The 4mm sheet it is cut from is probably overkill so there is significant refinement to be done. Tripod was bought on ebay - it was damaged so I got it for a tenner! Repaired it and modified to suit the rig. I think you can get them for £60 ish still.

I will either CNC the parts I design in full or use the CAD model to create cut through sections that can the be built on. I am not to sure really - I am feeling my way through this a bit. So you do the same thing then - making kits for cars? You self employed? Its always good to know people in the same circles.

If you want any more info about my experiences with SL scanning I would be glad to help. I am sure I can dig out my rig model too if you want a design as a starting point.
-Canon 40D
-Macbook pro on bootcamp
macdaddyjaz

Postby cnc Dave » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi Chris,

Yes, self employed product designer / engineer / web designer /SEO / video maker... but I can still pass as sane..just.

I'm a Rhino T-splines user but haven't touched it in 3 years and I'm rusty. Great for surface modeling.

Here's some of my most recent work...

http://www.grantleydesign.com/index.html see the movie page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv-FrT0fA-c

http://www.kadude.com/
cnc Dave

Postby cnc Dave » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi Chris,

I do have a question for you. When I tried the projector. shining straight at the calibration panel from above the bouncing light in the corner caused problems. I set up a large sheet of black plastic in the centre of the panel and lined it up as best I could. this made things better.

With the projector from the side do you get the same problem or did you go negative corner?

Regards Dave
cnc Dave

Next

Return to 3D Laser Scanning