Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Problems with my First Scan

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Re: Problems with my First Scan

Postby Sven » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:00 am

Hello Abhishek,
We have improved the alignment, please try version 3.5. Press "T" to switch off/on the texture in the 3D view, this makes it easier to see how good the alignment is.
In general: When you have aligned parts A and B, make sure their alignment is really good before aligning part C.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby abhishek.c » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:51 pm

Dear Sven

Thank you for your reply, actually I have another problem, when I try David 3, I am not able to calibrate the camera where as when I use the old version the camera calibrates with the same position & settings instantly.

Can you please help me out with this as well... I would definitely try using 3.5....

Also can I use the software without the USB, after copying the software to the local drive?
Thanking You in Anticipation...

Regards

"Abhishek"

My Setup:
1. Blue Line Laser, adjustable focus
2. DAVID USB CCD Monochrome Camera (XGA) with Lens
3. DAVID-Laserscanner Pro Edition USB Version 3.3
abhishek.c

Postby Sven » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:10 am

Hello Abhishek,

Failing calibration: Please post a screen shot of the live camera image.
Also please take a look at the Debug Console (you can switch it on at Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Service). What error message does it give when the calibration fails?

License: Yes you can start DAVID 3.5 from HDD. But the original DAVID USB drive must be plugged in the whole time, so DAVID can find the license file.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby abhishek.c » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:35 am

Hi Guys

With your help & Guidance I was able to complete a few scans & fuse them together, following are the screen shot of the fused scan

Following is the screen shot of item I was scanning, it was basically a thermocol packing which I cut in half to try out scanning

Awaiting your comments on the results.....

Also I have a problem I basically intend to use the scanner setup for Reverse Engineering, when I developed a model from the fused scan I see a uniform variation of approx 2-3 mm. This much of variation is not acceptable in my line of work, what am I doing wrong or how can I improve my results to not get these variations?

I think the problem might be because of Auto Alignment in David 3.5.1, is there a way I can try manual alignment to verify my doubts?

I really have to get the least variation possible in dimensions of my scans, please help....

Regards

"Abhishek"

My Setup:
abhishek.c

Postby abhishek.c » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 am

Dear Sven

I was able to get the calibration done with a bit of manipulation & looking at the debug window thanks...

Please also help me in my other query regarding variations in dimensions of my scans.

Regards

"Abhishek"

My Setup:
abhishek.c

Postby Sven » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi Abhishek,

The important question is: Are the SINGLE scans (before any alignment) perfect, or do they show wrong dimensions / variations?

If the single scans are perfect, the problem may occur in alignment. You should switch off the texture display (keyboard "T") so you can see better if the alignment is good.
Make sure that alignment of scans 1 and 2 is perfect before starting to align scan 3, and so on.

If the scans are already distorted or have wrong size, usually it's a problem of calibration.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Previous

Return to 3D Laser Scanning