[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Object>Camera>laser Calculator?
Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Object>Camera>laser Calculator?

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Object>Camera>laser Calculator?

Postby bartjuan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:39 pm

I wonder if anyone has figured out a "calculator" to figure out the optimal distance between camera and laser for scanning a given object.

I thought I would take a shot at it....
A few givens would have to include a FOV for the camera(logitech 9000 = 75deg) or about how much of the FOV the object fills in the view.
That could determine the distance of the camera from the object.
Assume the laser and camera are on a vertical plane?
minimum intersection angle should be 30.

I will attempt to attach a drawing with these assumptions and a few settings
the object is 12units in diam(could be CM could be Inches). I set the FOV to 30 just as a starter. I am sure it should be more like 55.
I set the camera to aim directly horizontal at the center of the object.
I understand the "Intersection angle" to be the angle between a projection from the camera to the object and the laser plane so that the camera plane changes as it scans down an object. I am not 100% sure on this. some posts suggest the camera plane is fixed as the horizon plane of the camera. In my drawing I put red lines for the intersection angle at the start of a scan and green line for the intersection angle at the end of a scan.

So if anything I did has any value, the camera should be about 23 units away from the center of the object, and the laser should be a minimum of 14.7 units above the camera.
If this makes any sense, Having this in a CAD file is OK, making a java script for a website could be even more useful. maybe a android app!

any help would be appreciated!

Bart
laser calculator.jpg
cad image
logitech pro 9000
ARDU3 based rig Using Katyb softrware
<5mw <300mA green(532nm) Apinex-#LC532-5-3F
Apinex <5mw focusable red

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
bartjuan

Return to 3D Laser Scanning