Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

README if you have some questions

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

README if you have some questions

Postby Simon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:13 am

Do you have problems to get accurate scanning results?
Our do you want to know how you can improve your setup?

Let me give you some hints that might help us to solve your problem as quickly as possible:

1. Make sure that you have read the Frequently Asked Questions and the Hints for Better Scan Results.

2. Please give us some details of your setup (PC, type of camera and laser) and post a screenshot of the laser line, like this one.

3. Do not hesitate to post your question in this forum! :)

Good luck!

EDIT: Dead link corrected
EDIT2: Dead link corrected
Simon
DAVID Developer

Postby MagWeb » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi Davidians,

worse scanresults may be caused of different mistakes. So if you want to shorten the response process give us the following informations:

-used cam;
-used laser;
-PC hardware (CPU frequency, memory);

-describe light conditions while scanning ( darkness, shadowed, daylight);
-size of your object and used printout scale;

-post a screenshot of the enlighted scene, taken with the calibrated cam; like pic_A.jpg
-post a screenshot of the laserline on the object with ambient light while scanning, as DAVID sees it; like pic_B
-post a screenshot of your scanresult window without smoothing or interpolation; like pic_C (the result should be denser)
-post a screenshot of your result in DAVID's 3D viewer. Please describe the put-on filters (How often did you interpolate/smooth the raw result?)

It's a good idea to mount the four pics on one file!

Thanks - this way it is easier to give you a quick and exhausting response,

Gunter
Attachments
pic_A.jpg
pic_B.jpg
pic_C.jpg
MagWeb

Re: README if you have some questions

Postby storjob » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:25 pm

I have an object that is about 2 meters high and almost 2 meters in diameter. It is sort of a sculpture that I would like to copy in a much smaller scale. Would that be possible with the technique u are providing?
best, lutz
storjob

Postby MagWeb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:40 pm

Welcome storjob,

yes, this size should be no problem for DAVID. For you it means that you have to build rather large detectionplanes ( or you might even use a corner of a room).

I built a "windowsetup" to scan humans lying on the floor. The size of its scanning area was 2x2m:
http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135

For I don't think you are abel to turn a object of this size around its Y-axis to get 360° you should simply move the corner around the object and calibrate each aspect.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby hal » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:53 pm

Hi,
welcome. You can scan big objects, sure. Or you build a big calibration corners (as MagWeb suggest, using the wall angle) or scan it in more that one piece, using a calibration panels system opened with small panels (you can build two panels around 50 cm heigh), and after fusing single meshes. See this discussion http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum ... .php?t=443 .
Bye
PC: DELL Alienware 17, Intel I7-4710MQ, 32 Gb Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 4GB.
SO: Win 8.1 64Bit.
CAMs: USB 3.0 CMOS B/N (1280x960, 60 fps).
LENS: 12 mm.
PROJECTOR: DAVID SLS1 ACER K11.
hal

Postby getget » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi, i've a question regarding scanning with a laser : Should i shut down the lights & make the room as dark as possible while scanning ?

Thank you !
getget

Postby hal » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi getget,
is better that you scan in dark light condition (better totally dark) if your camera haven't a good exposure control.
If you can scan in soft light or in a normal light condition and, decreasing the exposure time of camera, you see the laser line bright and sharp = the dark isn't necessary (I scan in normal light condition, but not in daylight [too much light from sun]).
If you decrease the exposure time and the light of envirorment disappear but and the laser line also isn't no more visible = you need a dark condition of the room.
The answer to your question is: depends of the camera exposure sensibility.

Bye,
Mattia
hal

Postby Jolanta » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi there

I am from a medical background but interested in 3D scanning using DAVID (without calibration panels)

I have setup the X-Y table using Lego which moves the Laser in front-back-right and left directions.

You have used Arduino microcontoller to move your laser where I am trying to use Lego Mindstorms. I have built the assembly and for programming I have two options:
A] lego Mindstorms NXTprogramming
B] LabView.

I have programmed it using both.

Now the problem, I am facing is that Arduino which you have used communicates with specified COM port whereas the Lego communicates with USB, I have attached two images of the device manager, I am totally confused between which COM port to be specified in the motor setup.

Also I have PCIe 6321 and a laser scanner attached to it via COM port 3. But even if I program this in LabView will this COM port make sense?

If you could suggest me this I would really grateful.

I much appreciate your efforts and your help.

Thank you

Jolanta.
Attachments
Laser port.png
Lego port.png
Jolanta

Postby rickrustyrail » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi ,

Purchased the 5.0 David duel cameras using the standard cameras and acer projector that comes with the product.

Running on a high end processor and 32 RAM of course 64 bit OS

When it first came out could not get the cameras to stay on and other problems. SO walked away knowing a software update would come along. And it did now on 5.0.5 and the
cameras are stable but still cannot get the fusion to look like anything but a blob.

So turned off one camera and scanned a bust no problem and a almost perfect fusion with a little cleanup.

Pictures attached with before scan and the fusion.

So I know the unit works with single camera. so not sure what is going on with the duel camera setup. Cameras not syncing up? Wrong distance between camera and projector?

Thanks for any pointers or help on this
Attachments
before.png
Single camera before scan
After.png
Single camera fuse
rickrustyrail

Return to 3D Laser Scanning