Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Using a mirror

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Using a mirror

Postby spamsac » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:03 am

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but searching for using a mirror only seems to bring results like: http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/ ... th_mirrors

I was wondering, is there any reason a mirror can not be placed below the object in order to reflect the laser up onto the object, effectively allowing laser placement above and below the object with only one laser, and not needing to move it?

I imagine reflecting the laser would cause some reduction in quality, and I don't know if the reflected light having to pass back through the initial laser beam on its way to the camera would cause any disturbance/problems.

Could such a set up work?

Cheers,
Simon
spamsac

Re: Using a mirror

Postby WalterMo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:39 am

Hi Simon,
Yes, using a mirror just placed below the object works and was already discussed:
viewtopic.php?p=1360&highlight=#1360

Best is to use a so called first surface mirror which upper surface is mirrored and not its backside (as usual). But these mirrors are expensive.
A disadvantage of an additional mirror is that the light path of the laser becomes about double and the focus may become blurry (If you want to scan in one go).

Walter
WalterMo

Postby dickda1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:45 am

I use a mirror. I was lucky to get a first surface mirror from an obsolete spectrometer - because of my job.

However, while new first surface mirrors are expensive, they turn up on the suplus market very cheap (a couple dollars US). For example: http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/sub ... tegory/190
dickda1

Postby spamsac » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Something to bear in mind for the future for definite.

Simon
spamsac

Return to 3D Laser Scanning